Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Data Cables... Suitable for wiring?  (Read 4853 times)

sk-1

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Data Cables... Suitable for wiring?
« on: January 02, 2010, 05:21:51 AM »

I have a TON of hard disk drive cables in a box in the corner of my room and I was wondering if anyone can tell me if they are good enough for use in circuit bending projects?  I'm talking a couple of dozen floppy drive cables, 40 odd IDE hard disk cables and around 20 super-fine SCSI cables... all ready to be thrown out.  Are they suitable to use as wiring for circuit bending?  I'm no expert, but I'm guessing a big 'YES' for this one.

To me they would be extremely handy because you can split them up and there is more than enough length for larger projects.  If you have enough connectors lying around too then they can be more professionally connected and organised inside the keyboard.

Anyone else agree?  Ideas?  Comments?  ::)

I understand that in electronics, suitably rated wiring needs to be used and there are many sizes and gauges of wire made to withstand different levels of current, etc.  I thought perhaps that a simple hard drive cable would be enough to allow the small amounts of current to pass around the circuits, while maintaining the correct level of voltage.  Any experts or knowledgeable people in here that can lend some advice?  Thanks! :)

*Edit: Thanks goes to SineHacker. Your earlier suggestions were most helpful ;D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 05:24:34 AM by SK-1 »
So many questions... so little time!

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
Re: Data Cables... Suitable for wiring?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 04:08:35 PM »

Yeah, old ribbon cable from hard disks will be just fine.  Probably best to stay away from the 80-conductor cables unless you've got a *really* steady hand and good eyesight.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.