Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: homemade synths...  (Read 19419 times)

Remork

• Way to much time on his hands
    • Remörk Blog
Re: homemade synths...
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 01:54:41 AM »

it's mainly fuzzes and distortions - they're easiest, and you can never have enough of 'em  ;D
built some clones, mainly off schematics found on the net - OCD, Fuzz Factory, Rangemaster, MXR+, Wooly mammoth, Ross compressor, some tremolos, some boosters, stuff like that. modded a lot of my gear as well - not too many pedals still under warranty here :)
but blatantly copying schematics gets old pretty quick, which is why i want to read up on all this some more. that noiseswash in the video is one of the first bits that i feel has gotten a true personal touch beyond the paintjob.. getting that second LFO to work was quite the thrill  ;D

i'll look into that thread you started, sounds cool - not sure i'm familiar with the Tiger Quiz Wiz though  :-\

jamiewoody

• This person is dangerously insane.
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 02:31:31 AM »

i had a distortion + once. to me, it was more like nice creamy soft overdrive than actual distortion...i loved it!

but, i had the chance to sell it and make money, so i did. i want another one! it drives my old tube amp nicely!
"gravity...it's what's for dinner!"

Remork

• Way to much time on his hands
    • Remörk Blog
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 11:15:02 AM »

loads of places selling kits to build one, so since you know how to use an iron..
tonepad.com, buildyourownclone.com, generalguitargadgets.com,
or musikding.com, newtone-online.nl (pezrsonal favourite) if you're in europe.

going slightly off topic here, aren't we?  :-X

jamiewoody

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 06:55:54 PM »

i think i would rather buy a dist+. i like the compactbess of mxr, but hate working that small when building things.

so, back on topic: i need to order some components to try to build an LFO from scratch.  i know what i said about working small, but those LFOs in an altoids box are kinda cool looking! lol!

Plink

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 09:21:57 PM »

Hey, new to the forum ;)

I actually started with apc's before i ever tried bending.
Recently i've completed one wsg...easy and fun project..great for beginners. Spend some time to study schematics and stuff, and it will help you understand more things about the logic of the circuit ;)

I've only bought the pcb and got all the parts from local dealers and my stock. I Build it inside a tin box...looks really cool... i'll try posting some pics later...
now I want to build a voice of saturn...

edit: i've actually added the wsg pic as my avatar ;)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 09:26:18 PM by Plink »

jamiewoody

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 05:47:39 AM »

yeah, plink, i think APC is a good place to start. i have been breadboarding it for the past week or so, and experim, and an LED. i think i will also make a power off switch.

enting with the basic apc circuit. right now, i have one i am prototyping with 3 potentiometers and 4 body contacts. i am working on the box...this hip looking turquoise molded plastic cassette carry case! i am trying to think of something creative to make into body contacts. i may go thrifting tomorrow and see what i can find.

it seems the design of the box, etc is half the battle, almost harder than building the circuit! though, i found durable plastic vhs tape boxes work well, and drill easy, also allow you to spread controls out.
Pages: 1 [2]