Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Ridiculous ebay price rises on unbent machines  (Read 61741 times)

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
Re: Ridiculous ebay price rises on unbent machines
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2010, 12:23:07 AM »

The weird resonance bump circuit and accent/decay time trick that the 303 has is tricky to emulate on "normal" synths - quite easy to do in software, but then you have other problems - but other than that it's a one-trick pony.

You can't throw gear at the problem and hope it will mask a lack of talent.  You can have a dozen TB303s but if your programming sucks, your music will suck.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2010, 02:33:17 AM »

Back on topic - who wants to explain why this Roland CR78 is currently on £500 with two days to go having had 10 BIDS!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140467124443

The CR78, theres another one i don't understand. Its a piece of 70's home organ crap isn't it? Its probably fun to own one for about a day, but £500 worth of fun?
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

arron

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2010, 08:27:57 AM »

You can't throw gear at the problem and hope it will mask a lack of talent.  You can have a dozen TB303s but if your programming sucks, your music will suck.

I am sure that my TB-303 programing is ok, I have been mentioned on the Wikipedia TB-303 page as one of the originators of the overdriven sound from many years ago, I also had a few releases on pioneering labels such as Smitten, Phantasm etc. as Interlect 3000.

The thing that makes the TB-303 so unique is the quirks that it has, which as you say are hard to emulate. My argument is, why emulate when the real thing does the job properly?

arron

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2010, 08:36:06 AM »

Back on topic - who wants to explain why this Roland CR78 is currently on £500 with two days to go having had 10 BIDS!

Again, it is a piece of musical history. It has a unique sound and looks good. Also if all of the machines that you say are bad, then why are they all being emulated, sampled or cloned by people? The machines are good and the originals are "sound" (excuse the pun) investments for the future...

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2010, 12:02:02 PM »

I never said that the CR78 or any of these overpriced machine sound bad, i'm saying that 14 sounds, some dodgy rhumba presets and an atrocious programming interface aren't worth what is now £720 on that auction. I'd probably gladly pay £50 or so for those 14 sounds, but £720?

Ciderfeks

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2010, 01:33:11 PM »

It is what it is, I suppose. You have collectors and you have musicians and then poor souls such as myself who fall somewhere between the two... As musical instruments some of these things discussed aren't necessarily any great shakes but collectors/investors or whatever will always want them to tick a box I guess. Now I wouldn't pay that money for a CR78 or even want one, but if I had mountains of spare cash I would pay for say an '808. I know there are better drum machines about and perfectly decent emulators too so I don't really understand it myself but there is no doubt that I want one, one day! I think the vintage instrument market is a slightly different kettle of fish to the high prices charged for relatively common, (not "rare"!!) toys (Speak's, VL-1's SK-1's, anything with Casio written on it etc etc) and they can't really be seen as the same thing can they? Surely if/when the current high profile that circuit bending has dies down so will the price of the "classic" bendable toy come down. An SK-1 aint really worth jack for what it is and is only really interesting to circuit benders.

arron

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2010, 03:53:52 PM »

I never said that the CR78 or any of these overpriced machine sound bad,

You have said that about the TR-606 though in previous threads. They are very good machines and the program interface has set the standard for most of todays boxes. £720 is the going rate today for that CR-78, just like stocks and shares, they go up and down.

arron

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2010, 04:13:20 PM »

Here is a nice setup that is worth every penny, just look how easy it is to get self gratification....

ROLAND JAM 1/3

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2010, 04:51:51 PM »

You have said that about the TR-606 though in previous threads. They are very good machines and the program interface has set the standard for most of todays boxes. £720 is the going rate today for that CR-78, just like stocks and shares, they go up and down.

I think you're missing my point. The TR606 doesn't sound bad at all for the £30-£40 its actually worth. I'd gladly pay £30 for one, maybe even £40 if i was feeling generous. On the other hand it sounds like crap for £300, i guess thats a matter of opinion though

All i'm saying is that i suspect that most people would want more music making potential for their money.

Surely if/when the current high profile that circuit bending has dies down so will the price of the "classic" bendable toy come down. An SK-1 aint really worth jack for what it is and is only really interesting to circuit benders.

I really do hope so, with any luck the peak is over. Although it occurs to me that the VSS30 only became so absurdly expensive because a couple of 'famous' producers said they used them. The SK1 probably only sells for what it does because Trent Reznor happens to use one.

See how i put two quotes in one reply so i didn't have to make several posts there arron?  ;)

arron

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2010, 09:56:28 PM »

See how i put two quotes in one reply so i didn't have to make several posts there arron?  ;)

[/quote]

But there was only one message posted when I sent a quoted reply, But thanks for the tip. I tend to check in every now and then and like to get my replies in each time.

casioboi

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2010, 08:07:59 PM »

I'm toying with the idea of getting an MC-505. They go for around $100 US on Ebay nowadays. Worth it?

Gordonjcp

• http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2010, 08:23:31 PM »

I've been looking at the MC-505 and MC-303 as well.  Not tried one but they're cheap and they make a noise.  You probably can't modify them much.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2010, 02:34:03 PM »

If i recall correctly the synth sections on both are pretty crappy, especially the MC303.

LoneStar81

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2010, 08:31:13 AM »

I'm toying with the idea of getting an MC-505. They go for around $100 US on Ebay nowadays. Worth it?

100$ is pretty cheap for what is essentially a pretty well-featured 8-track hardware sequencer with a JV-ROM-Sample-Synth. If it even remotely fits your style, get it! If only for the drums and sequencer ;)

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 02:06:18 PM by Circuitbenders »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7