Circuitbenders Forum > News, comments and requests

Its been a bit quiet around here recently

(1/13) > >>

Circuitbenders:
As i'm sure people might have noticed, its been a bit quiet around here recently and many older regular members don't seem to post anywhere near as regularly as they used to.

As a result this is an open thread for anything that people would like to see on the forum or for an ideas that might get people visiting and posting again.

All ideas gratefully received.  :)

myopianc:
hello, this is my first time using a forum and i'm probly doin this wrong but I really want to get in to this circuit bending stuff and I'm just after some pointers on doin it. I've got a roland r5 and I've seen that circuit bent beast that s-cat made really want to have a go at mine. I've looked through a few tutorials but I'm still a bit scared about goin in. (don't want to kill it if pos.) The best tutorial i've found so far is for HR 16 - vidiotsquad.com, but a lot of the pictures are missing and though I'm not afraid to experiment I want to try and avoid messing things up. I pick technical things up pretty well so I'm sure it will all come clear once I'm on the right track. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

To do with tryin to drum up a bit more conversation on here, being so new don't really feel like i can make a suggestion yet, but I am currently on university course called interactive design and they encourage this type of work. I'll put a thread on our courses site to let people know of CIRCUIT BENDERS. There is actually 2 lads woprking on a big circuit bending project now that may well be interested in this site.

Anyway hope i haven't annoyed anyone with my debut forum hit and hopefully here from someone soon.

angrydroid:
I don't know a thing about what you want to bend but your post is just fine.  ;D

electoyd:
Paul i think all the forum's are quite quiet these days, i dont think people are as up for swapping info as they were a while ago, this combined with the fact that there is more info uploaded that people can just snatch without having to give anything in return, there is so many forums (including facebook and the rest of the social ones) i dont think people have the time to go round them all.

If you want people to come back regularly there needs to be an incentive, the incentive most people have for visiting these sites is gaining (and hopefully passing) information so i think that needs to be the focus.  There is alot of good info on your site but it is scattered about and can take a while to find things.  Maybe if some of this info was collated in a more manageable format, like bending guides (that sounds wrong i know ;) for key certain machines, it would encourage more debate and people bending certain machines would gravitate towards your site to gain and hopefully pass info from their experiments back.

Not to take anything away from your site as i think it is a good one, but it is very much lots of threads and i think they can become repetitive trying to wade through them and good info gets lost.

Maybe if you start up specific projects and give them a section of there own like they do on the Burnkit website, they have a section for hr16, 505 and others but there is maybe only 10-15 diff machines and lots of discussion on these and they have pushed the boundaries of these machines, and they have found that although there is always some sharks that will try and sell free info on ebay, there is also others that will contribute great info (like gordon jcp) so i guess what i'm trying to say is encourage more in depth bending of certain machines.

Also maybe you could have a corner where trusted members of your site could upload info about themselves, music they do and projects they are working on, so they can have a bit of ownership of it, a kind of rogues gallery of you and the forum members and somewhere they could update info about themselves which would encourage them to come and visit regularly.  But i understand this may be hard to implement and keep out the ebay hawks.

dunno if this helps in any shape or form..........................Ian

KingMidas:
Hello,

This is officially my first post on this forum, and I thought it would be a good place to start.

I am somewhat new to circuit bending, but know that this will be a hobby of mine for years to come. I currently have a small collection of unbent keyboards, and a speak and read, and plan on contributing to this forum. I am a graphic/web designer by day, and by night...well, I am still behind a computer shopping ebay and craigslist for those rare finds.

I am close to San Francisco, CA and would love some help and advice in the future.

As far as giving some ideas for this forum, I hope that this being my first post, doesn't exclude me from voicing my opinion as well.

While I love the site, the visual aesthetic is very hard on the eyes. Having a black background with orange text and green circuit board borders makes finding information and reading multiple lines of text very difficult. As I write this, the previous responses posted prior to mine (the topic summary) are displayed with a 10 point font size.

I think that this site has amazing content, and very knowledgeable members, but topics should also be organized in a simple fashion.

I hope that you don't mind if I show an example... but I was always taught to learn from those around me (hence the reason I am here) and web design is no different.

http://forum.sportruck.com/   

I used to be part of this forum several years ago, and to this day, the forum is still going with over 16,000 members. The layout is simple, and the categories were to the point... General, Technical, and Classifieds with a "for sale" and "wanted" subcategory.

I hope that my opinions and observations are taken as positive feedback from a new member as opposed to someone just joining to create problems. Many of the members on this site are masters with electronics, and more than willing to share their knowledge. Knowing this, I felt compelled to share my own personal knowledge as to what I think would help this site reach its potential.

Again thank you for even providing us with a place to discuss circuit bending. This is a slowly expanding movement, but moving forward nonetheless.

KingMidas

*here is a picture of my small collection!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version