Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Roland R5  (Read 13507 times)

kriminal

Roland R5
« on: March 24, 2010, 09:27:20 PM »

Hi, new here, so obviously a question

i have an R5 i dont use, thought it might be more useful modded/bent
dont want to do it myself, so am looking for links/price etc for ppl who do..you chaps seemed the best place to ask (recommended actaully)

thanks

Dave

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Roland R5
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 03:25:48 AM »

I think you sent me an email the other day didn't you? I did reply but maybe it didn't get to you or went into your junk mail as a lot of circuitbenders emails seem to do.

I'll try sending it again or send you a PM on here if it doesn't appear to be working.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

kriminal

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 02:09:42 AM »

erm, yes, i think i did email you...i dont usually have probs with email... :-\

thanks

Dave

kriminal

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 02:14:21 PM »

stil no joy...  :-\

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 07:54:10 PM »

Well, i've sent you at least 3 emails now, plainly nothing is getting through for some reason.

I've sent you the same email as a PM on here now, with any luck that one might get through. God know whats going on here, have you checked your junkmail?

Do you get any emails from the forum notifying you of replies to threads you've posted in etc?

arron

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 12:22:22 PM »

Hi, new here, so obviously a question

i have an R5 i dont use, thought it might be more useful modded/bent
dont want to do it myself, so am looking for links/price etc for ppl who do..you chaps seemed the best place to ask (recommended actaully)

thanks

Dave

I can do the job for you. take a look at this one and let me know if you are interested in me doing it for you... ROLAND R-5 by S-CAT

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 12:33:07 PM »

Well heres my contribution to the world of R5 bending

mmmm, a light up clear blue patchbay box, thats what i like to see  :D

I actually had to build my own power supply for this one as Roland wanted to charge me £40 for a replacement supply just because ita supposedly +10v/0/-10v with a weird connector!

arron

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 12:48:14 PM »

Well heres my contribution to the world of R5 bending

Was this built after the R-8 thread started? It is nice to know that you were spurred on to try for yourself.

Arron

It is definately not an unbendable machine, can you let me know the details on what mods and connections you have made?

arron

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 01:00:51 PM »

mmmm, a light up clear blue patchbay box, thats what i like to see  :D

In a serious note now, the breakout box does look impressive but don't you think that drum machines are easier to control via switches or buttons? The patch bay idea can be very awkward to use when you want that quick glitch to thrown in the mix.

I have seen the self program midi kits that Highly liquid produces, these seem to be the perfect addition to the patch bay option, as it then gives you freedom to program those little touches. I am about to start work on adding one to my Rhythm Ace FR-2, I have managed to find the trigger in points and have also managed to remove the sequencer section. The Rhytm Ace is as close as I can find to the Tr-808.

Arron

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 01:08:28 PM »

erm... i guess it was built after an R8 thread started, whatever thread you are referring to,  in that i built it last week. I'm not sure i know what you're referring to  ::)

Its a pretty standard patchbay job with the sockets wired to the pins of one of the two sound ROM chips. Theres a lot of potential pin connections that just cause a whole lot of distortion and noise so i avoided most of them but i guess its just a matter of personal preference. Just avoid the power pins and just about any short on the sound ROM will do something interesting.

The most difficult part was the hardware and mounting the patchbay case on the side.

Personally i prefer the patchbay method mainly because you can get hundreds more different combinations of bends than you can with switches and you tend to come up with a lot more unexpected stuff. I appreciate that you might want to use a quick glitch as a fill or whatever which is why i've got two switches on there than can be patched in line with any other connection, and a momentary push button that does the same but doesn't latch. It takes more planning but i tend to use these things more as studio tools than for live jamming.

A bank of switches are a lot more immediate i agree, but for long term use i'd probably go for a patchbay for its wider potential. I guess its down to personal preference though really.

arron

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 01:18:47 PM »

A bank of switches are a lot more immediate i agree, but for long term use i'd probably go for a patchbay for its wider potential. I guess its down to personal preference though really.

Have you got any audio to go with the pictures, I went for the distortion mods and geared it more towards my style of techno, it would be good to hear what you have achieved.

kriminal

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 01:09:35 PM »

sorry for the late reply..i sold the R5 a while back to a friend who wanted it to bend himself...thanks for the advice tho, appreciated  ;)

davethedoobie

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2010, 11:51:01 PM »

Been messing around with my Roland R-5 (I have a serious drum machine fetish!)  found two chips that produce a lot of distortion effects, staccato etc..  What is great is that there is space at the bottom of the case to drill some holes just wondered if any of you could tell me should I cut the plastic/metal overlay and is the case a conductor of electricity like the Yamaha RX-8 casing is apparently?

A bit of advice for anyone thinking of bending there R-5 be prepared for a lot of crashes, memory wipes etc.

Don't know whether to fit swithes or a patchbay too.

I hope to post some images soon.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 12:24:03 AM »

should I cut the plastic/metal overlay and is the case a conductor of electricity like the Yamaha RX-8 casing is apparently?

Do you mean the shielding sheet? As long as you don't remove the thing entirely you'll probably never notice any difference. The RX8 must have been very prone to picking up or producing noise as its the only machine i've ever come across with a case interior thats completely coated with conductive paint. The R5 is fine in that respect.

davethedoobie

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 11:37:05 PM »

regarding the conductive paint do you think if rub the buttons on my alesis hr-16 over it they will work!

I think i've found that dial 'lion roar' on pin ic20 to R51 i have used a 10k lin pot if that is of assistance.  These rolands aren't as much fun as yamaha's to bend but the are bendable!!!! if you like distorted effects and it sounding like a zx spectrum loading.