Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How to paint plastic  (Read 7942 times)

JohnnyLongarms

• Johnny Longarms' Blog
How to paint plastic
« on: August 10, 2010, 03:47:23 PM »

So, after searching through post after post, I think I have patched together the proper way to paint plastic toys.

Don't paint when it's very cold, or humid. If the paint is going on too globby/thick/weird, either try moving the can faster, or moving the can further away (not too far.)

1) Disassemble and give a very light sanding

2) Plastikote primer. Spray multiple thin coats, allow to dry compleyely between coats. White primer for bright color, Grey/Black primer for dark colors.

3) Acrylic spray paint, again multiple light coats, and allow for complete drying between coats.

4) Seal with Plastikote clear laquer.

That sound right? I hope so.. I'm trying to collect all of the steps on exactly how to properly paint plastic.

Any cool ideas for painting techniques would be appreciated too! How you do masking, splatter, decals, labeling, etc.. Much thanks ahead of time!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 03:48:54 PM by JohnnyLongarms »
~JLA

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
Re: How to paint plastic
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 01:07:30 PM »

That all sounds about right.  Let us know how you get on - and practice on something you don't mind ruining first ;-)
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 05:04:42 PM »

If your're using glow in the dark spray paint then about 20 very thin coats works a lot better than 2 or 3 thick coats.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

JohnnyLongarms

• Johnny Longarms' Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 06:06:28 PM »

Alright, will do!

Haven't had much time to do anything recently.. Too busy painting my new apartment to be painting toys (So says the girlfriend...aff) I should get a chance to paint something soon though. Thanks for the tip on the glow paint, maybe i'll give that a shot.

While i'm here.. might aswell ask..

an idea popped into my head last night; what if I get rid of all the stock buttons on my keyboard, and want to make new ones. Is there an easy way to fill in the holes in the plastic, and smooth it all out, so I'd basically have a buttonless keyboad(which I would install new buttons into?)

Would bondo work? Or is there something along the same lines to use for plastic toys?

Something to think about..
~JLA

jamiewoody

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 04:00:35 PM »

what cb said about 20 thin coats, this is a good practice anyway when spraypainting or airbrushing.

i found when painting plastic, an oil based spray paint (rustoleum, etc) works well. i know, it is more expensive. but, it will NOT chip away! think about it, oil paint, and a product which is petrolium based works well together.

be careful when you get toward the last 1/4 of the can of spraypaint. shake the can really well and do a test spray before proceeding. also, turning the can upside down at this stage can somewhat help.

another thing which works wonders is taking a very fine grit sand paper or a .000 steel wool and sort of "roughing up" a smooth surface BEFORE painting can help the paint to stick to the surface.

if you want a high gloss, .000 steel wool and buff in between several clear coat layers will help.
"gravity...it's what's for dinner!"

JohnnyLongarms

• Johnny Longarms' Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 06:08:05 PM »

Awesome! I want to get started right now.. aff.. 
~JLA

Simon Vactrol

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 10:56:21 PM »

You can also give it a wash and and a good dry with an hair dryer before painting,
dont do this with keys or part where the plastic is too thin though..or there is the risk you melt them.

:)