Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bends on a Yam DD5?  (Read 12341 times)

replicator

Bends on a Yam DD5?
« on: December 11, 2010, 05:01:49 PM »

Anyone got a video/pictures or notes for bends on a Yam DD5? I see plenty of folks have done them but as it's my first attempt at circuit bending and I've had the beast for a long time, I don't really want to trash it straight off.
Any helps I'd be grateful.
OrB

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Bends on a Yam DD5?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 08:53:08 PM »

Well thats annoying. I know i have a DD5 but i have no idea what i've done with it  >:(

On most yamahas including the DD5,  there will be one chip thats home to about 90% of the interesting bends. If you can post a picture of the board someone can probably point it out.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

sean1978

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 05:31:55 PM »

firuge anything out? I just made another post about the same unit. I saw some videos on youtube wiith some pretty awesome modifications. I'd like to add a 8 step sequencer to mine first.

Z3R0

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 03:05:34 AM »

I've just posted scans of the dd11,12&14 on here on a new thread. They're different but from those you'll get the general idea.

I've modded one dd5 in the past with a sequencer and distortion on top of the usual chip glitch bends.  never did a scan of it as i do so many dd's they all look the same after a while.

As i say, those 11&12 scans should give you a rough idea.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 03:08:49 AM by Z3R0 »

Ciderfeks

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 09:19:02 PM »

I've modded one dd5 in the past with a sequencer and distortion on top of the usual chip glitch bends.  never did a scan of it as i do so many dd's they all look the same after a while.

Zero, yours was one of the best DD5 mods i've seen imho and a benchmark for others wanting to bend their DD5 - I plan to give this a go on mine at some point. Great job. Did you sell it?

M-Z3R0 - circuit bent Yamaha DD-5 glitch sequencer

Z3R0

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 11:55:08 PM »

Yeah i it went for £150. I have another two of them but other projects have left me with no time to work on them. I tend to just pick a machine on a whim to work on as i finish one so i will randomly pick one up at some point. When i do i'll detail the board and post it. Most of it willbe straight forward. The clock pin for an ltc1799  and maybe the best pins that don't crash/silence it when glitching will have to be discovered again as i never did keep any info on that one.

Eggnutts

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 02:53:50 AM »

Hello everyone!
I'm waiting for my DD-5 to come in the mail and I can't wait to get bending!  I also have a bent DD-6 that I've already written some songs with and would love to add MIDI to.  Can anyone help me out?  (Kits, Pics, Ect. )
Thanks.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 03:21:52 AM »

If i recall correctly you can wire in analogue triggers place of the piezos from the pads, or probably in parallel with them if you don't want to disconnect them. Then you just need a Midi to Trigger interface like the MIDI2SDS kit or PCB from Elby Designs http://www.elby-designs.com/panther/ed103-midi2sds/ed103.htm (possibly the worst website on the planet) or this from Engineers@work http://www.engineersatwork.nl/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/58/products_id/536 although thats probably overkill. You can probably do something with the highly liquid MSA-P kit to gate 5V pulses into the Yamaha http://highlyliquid.com/midi-decoders/msa-p/

electoyd

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 12:11:59 PM »

the elby one looks quite good, anyone used/built one of these?

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 12:30:09 PM »

I did a while back, and they are really useful. The only problem being that its £11 or so just for the PCB, and then you're looking at about £7 shipping to the UK. Its annoying as it was originally designed by Paul Maddox from http://www.vacoloco.net/ who i think is in the UK, but for some reason you can only buy the PCB's from australia.

EDIT: i just checked out the shipping for the Engineers@work one, which would otherwise seem better value than the others seeing as its already built and ready to go for about £21, and they want £12 to ship it from the netherlands to the UK! God knows what it'd cost to anywhere else in the world.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 02:06:18 PM by Circuitbenders »

electoyd

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2011, 03:03:16 PM »

yeah your right it does seem better value, and my laziness is telling me that is a good thing to not have to make it!

thanks for da info