Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dremel  (Read 10938 times)

adamduke

Dremel
« on: December 21, 2010, 03:25:39 AM »

I've finally been sold on the idea of getting a dremel.  I know some people around here swear by them and I was just wondering what tips people think are indispensable for circuit bending-related activities?

Bogus Noise

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • Bogus Noise Website
Re: Dremel
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 10:00:38 AM »

I got a cheaper hobby drill with a big selection of bits on offer at Maplins but there's other good places to get them too.

I mainly use the largest drill bit that came with it, something like 3mm, but when I eventually get round to making my own PCBs I'll probably want to get a smaller drill bit for putting the holes in that. Been reading that tungsten carbide bits are better for that, but are fragile and expensive so a drill stand would come in very handy here, and save you money in the long run.

Also seeing regular use is an Abrasive Point bit, which I find handy for grinding down bits of case plastic that are getting in the way of mounting any pots/switches/etc.

And also the cutting discs can sometimes be handy if you want to cut a big chunk of plastic out of somewhere. Make sure you wear glasses/goggles when using these though - if you're unused to them and cutting at the wrong angle with too much pressure they can break while the drill is spinning, sending a few jagged shards flying into the air... you don't want that happening!

KalashniKitty

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 06:49:22 AM »

Apart from what was mentioned above, it's really useful for grinding/filing output jacks where you are intending to solder them to wire.

Dylan

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 03:49:38 PM »

Cutting discs for trimming down pot shafts. You can get small drill bits for it that are near perfect for LED mounts.
www.palmetronics.com
BitCoin accepted.

mrbeans

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 12:57:56 PM »

I was looking into getting one today. It is hard though, balancing things up (drill or dremel) when you cannot look at them infront of you.

I was taking a look at this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dremel-Hobby-300-Series-Tool/dp/B002LARRRG/ref=sr_1_1?s=diy&ie=UTF8&qid=1307792373&sr=1-1

I'm not too sure if these extra drill bits: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Spot-Piece-Rotary-Tool/dp/B000LPDMT0/ref=pd_sim_diy_2 will give me what I need to mount the bends I made last night though. What tools are people using to drill their holes for their various buttons?  :-\

Bogus Noise

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • Bogus Noise Website
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 01:50:53 PM »

Hmmm, I can't see any drill bits in either of those sets. I actually got my drill and bits from Maplins, I needed it quickly and they had an offer on! Couldn't find the right kind of set for you online, but the below items are useful too. The reamer is essential, the countersink tool you can live without but it'll make things easier.

Tapered Hand Reamer:

Countersink Tool

The countersink willl shave off the extra plastic bits after you've used the reamer to take it up to size, and the toy's casing will look much cleaner for it. The holes will be hidden, admittedly, but some components will sit that bit more flush to the surface.

mrbeans

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 02:22:24 PM »

Excellent. I have just made all these exciting bends and was looking for a way to put some holes in the plastic box.

Something like: http://www.maplin.co.uk/18v-cordless-drill-221018  could do the initial hole and then the other tools you pointed me to could finished the job though. I will be needing a drill though, wont I? those above will not be all I need to make a decent hole?

Bogus Noise

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • Bogus Noise Website
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 02:33:57 PM »

Yeah, you do need the drill as well. That cordless is probably a bit big for the plastic stuff. The Dremel types are more suitable. I have used a cordless for drilling into thick guitar pedal metal though.

The one I got from Maplin was this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/18v-rotary-tool-kit-43273

Mine had an extra box of bits as the offer, but just that one has the necessary drill bits too. It's not the best, and the drill bits come loose after a bit of drilling and need to be tightened up again. But it has what you need to get going.

Also it's probably available for cheaper on eBay somewhere  ;)

mrbeans

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 04:34:57 PM »

Thanks for that! I will probably go for this on: http://www.amazon.co.uk/60pc-18V-Rotary-Aluminium-Case/dp/B0044243T4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=diy&qid=1307806244&sr=8-2 a little bit cheaper and a few more rpm.. If the details have a zero missing like I hope :)

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
  • 8Bit Brain Analog Heart
    • THE MAGIC MESS
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 10:54:20 PM »

i often find it easier to drill a pilot hole (smaller than what i need) then use a hand reamer shown a few posts up
http://www.maplin.co.uk/reamer-3869

gives a lot more control over the hole size exp in plastic
8Bit Brain Analog Heart

Bogus Noise

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • Bogus Noise Website
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2011, 12:56:20 AM »

Yeah, the pilot hole then the reamer is the way to go. Gives you a chance to slightly realign holes if they go astray too.

Should add that you don't need *that* much rpm, I usually use that Maplins one on the slowest speed... I'm getting rid of one with a minimum 15000rpm because it's too much!