Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: bundled components  (Read 9741 times)

parricide

• Way to much time on his hands
bundled components
« on: May 10, 2011, 10:52:46 PM »

does anybody know any places that sell a decent priced bundle of various pots, switches e.t.c.?
im looking for any kind of bundles at the moment.

im just starting my first bend and ive only got a few pieces to work with. it would be nice to have a variety at hand when i need it.

thanks

patchbaydoor

• (open the) patchbaydoor
Re: bundled components
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 05:09:04 PM »

I've seen some trash bundles on eBay (maybe I shouldn't jump to that conclusion...but they're overpriced at best), but I'm not aware of any bundles available via component retailers. You should be able to put together a little sampler yourself, and it would certainly be cheaper--and better suited to bending--to do so. Maybe some others could jump in and suggest what you might put into that bundle, but here's my opinion (based on an order I placed this morning at allelectronics.com):

SPDT mini toggle switches
Momentary pushbuttons (a few NC, a number of NO)
Assortment of pots (100ohm-1M), but I have more pots of smaller value (5k and smaller), and only a handful of 500k and above.

These are the bare bones...I also order plenty of LEDs, jacks for patchbays, and so on. I usually have a budget in mind, then just add to my cart in order of importance.

Not sure if this is helpful, as you wanted a prepackaged bundle, but maybe this would help you bundle your own and save some cash.
-
- - - - -
-
"every new technology necessitates a new war."
-Marshall McLuhan

parricide

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 03:01:24 AM »

thanks for the reply.
im now on my 3rd bend :)
i was looking for a variety because you never know what youll need until you need it.
i have learnt that it would be handy to have a decent number of as many varieties of components as possible at hand.
i was looking for variety bundles hoping they would be cheaper but theyre not. at least not where im looking :(

i have substituted a variety of pots for a variety of trim pots, which i can use to see what resistance i need and make a shopping list when i need them.
i bought a variety of resistors as they are cheap anyway, and as for switches, i tend to wait until i need them and, like the pots, order them as i need them.

i bought a small variety to keep be busy and i am slowly building that stock up. i think the trick is to buy more than you need when you need it and eventually you will end up with enough various components to satisfy your needs.

thanks for the reply.
im still looking for cheap bundles if anyone has got any ideas.

patchbaydoor

• (open the) patchbaydoor
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 05:24:13 AM »

Nice--glad you're finding a system!! I'm trying to get to that "have enough/enough of a variety of parts around" place...slowly...

Happy tinkering, friend!
-
- - - - -
-
"every new technology necessitates a new war."
-Marshall McLuhan

parricide

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 11:46:05 AM »

dont get me wrong, ive got a system, but i still havent got enough parts around :) not even close. i will get there though.

happy tinkering to you to.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 11:53:13 AM »

you could always look on ebay for job lots of electronics stuff. Theres always people selling entire cabinets full of components at well under their actual cost. I've always been tempted by them but i can't help wondering how much stuff i'd be left with that i'm never going to use.

Anyone thats been doing any electronics stuff for a while has made those purchases that seemed like a brilliiant idea at the time, but you end up with a pile of interesting parts that your're NEVER going to use. I have enough of this stuff that i've bought, i'm not sure i need all the stuff that someone else has bought and been left with as well!  ::)

Now, what can i do with this pile of vandal resistant numerical keypads......................  ;)
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

parricide

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 12:20:04 PM »

hahaha so true.

i have looked on ebay but have been trying to avoid those bundles for that reason. i cant justify spending money on stuff i will likely not use.
its hard to find bundles of useful stuff even on ebay. hmmmmm i wonder why that could be  ::)

Jellytot

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 12:19:55 PM »

send me a list and budget youd like it under, i will have a look if i can do that?