Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Simple MBox2 Q..  (Read 9092 times)

moordenaar

Simple MBox2 Q..
« on: January 11, 2010, 11:26:49 PM »

I want to record audio in audacity thru my MBox2.. How is this possible ? If i try to change the settings both in audacity or in my control panel my only option is realtek hd audio something something..

It's just so I don't need to boot ProTools everytime I wish to make a simple and quick recording. Also because my rig is going thru the MBox2 and I don't feel like changing stuff around everytime..

Could it really be so that it is not possible ?

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Simple MBox2 Q..
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 03:19:50 PM »

possibly not the right forum for this question?
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

moordenaar

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 03:55:59 PM »

Well I don't know.. I just thought some people on here were gear addicts other than just toys and where a little bit more serious about music making.. *cough*circuitbenders*cough* I've seen your pics.. hah.

Basicly it was just because I wanted to make a quick recording because I have some problems with a toy keyboard. It's constantly making a whining noise. But I MUST fix it because it has the KILLER kick drum and claps / snare sounds..

SineHacker

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 07:35:48 PM »

I'm guessing you're using PC so I can't be too sure that I'm right in saying this but when you install Profools, you also install drivers for the Mbox, which allow you to use your Mbox with any other software like Logic or Ableton etc. so it should be possible

question: if you have protools why on earth are you using Audacity??
yum, plastic sinewaves

moordenaar

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 08:55:27 PM »

I'm guessing you're using PC so I can't be too sure that I'm right in saying this but when you install Profools, you also install drivers for the Mbox, which allow you to use your Mbox with any other software like Logic or Ableton etc. so it should be possible

question: if you have protools why on earth are you using Audacity??

The reason is as I stated in the opening post in this thread..

"It's just so I don't need to boot ProTools everytime I wish to make a simple and quick recording. Also because my rig is going thru the MBox2 and I don't feel like changing stuff around everytime.."

And yes when you install Protools there's drivers but only for Protools.. I've also been to digidesign website and downloaded new drivers but it does not work..

Also sinehacker do you not like Protools since you wrote "Profools" or did you just accedently hit the "f" key instead of the "t" key ? If you don't like it, what is the reason ? And yeah I would like Ableton, but for now I'm on Protools..

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 01:37:14 PM »

Also sinehacker do you not like Protools since you wrote "Profools" or did you just accedently hit the "f" key instead of the "t" key ? If you don't like it, what is the reason ? And yeah I would like Ableton, but for now I'm on Protools..

I don't like protools as it appears to make it way to easy for everything to sound completely generic and plastic with zero character, and that 'everything louder than everything else' mastering that a lot of protools albums have is horrible.

Listen to any heavy guitar album done on an expensive protools rig in the last decade or so and you find that every guitar sound is more or less identical. Even if it did actually come from an amp all of a sudden its a bland and unfocused digital noise. Its even starting to happen to vocals. Sooner or later there will only be one vocal sound and that will be on everything.

I'm not saying you can't do good things with protools but it does seem to make it way to easy for engineers to be lazy. If i'm listening to a band i want to hear a band playing, not some reconstruction of what it might have been like with perfect timing and pitch. I know protools isn't entirely to blame for that but it my experience it is the worst offender.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

SineHacker

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 06:07:18 PM »

I don't like the way digidesign have their software/hardware market locked down, I would probably use the software if that wasn't the case, but I manage with logic and my lovely Focusrite Saffire :)

When you open audacity, you need to run the digidesign hardware application, this allows you to use the M-box outside of pro-tools, it will probably pop up in your preferences menu then or setup automatically. This is all theoretical though and I only really work with mac sorry so can't be much more help.

yum, plastic sinewaves

Gordonjcp

• http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 09:47:54 PM »

ardour > protools
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.