Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Footswitches for DIY pedals  (Read 7412 times)

scrubber

Footswitches for DIY pedals
« on: July 13, 2011, 02:15:46 AM »

yo! Ive made a few pedals now, just done tonebender and the mockman, trying different types of distortion, anyways...
is it a standard set up/connections for the footswitch component on all pedals? I followed the tonebender perf board schematic and it showed how to set up the footswitch using the positive in, goin into a connection on the stereo input, the rest of the footswitch connections are between the pots and the input/output/ground, i understand this is also a positive ground pedal
is this the same principle for the other pedals as the mockman schematic only shows me where the input, output, pot and the switch are on the circuit but not how to set this up with the footswitch should i try the same connections like on the tonebender?
any advice would be awesome!
cheeers

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Footswitches for DIY pedals
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 12:25:43 PM »

For some reason i appear to be incapable of understanding what you've written there. I start reading and my brain stops working so i'm not entirely sure what you're asking  :-[

Most pedals have the input jack switching wired so that it connects the power when a plug is plugged into the jack and disconnects it when its removed. That why the battery runs down when you leave a jack plugged into the input.

The wiring for the footswitch depends on what kind of footswitch you are using and if its meant to be true bypass or not. You'll have to put up some kind of link to the schematics you are working from or else nobody can tell what you're actually referring to.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

scrubber

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 04:24:38 PM »

hahaha! yeah I get that alot!
yeah you totally got what I was on about!
i was basically asking if there a certain way of setting up the footswitch on all pedals but you've answered that! with it all depends on the type of pedal and footswitch and whether you want true bypass ect! cheers man, that was what i wanted to know  :)
i'v just finished the mockman circuit on perf board: http://www.runoffgroove.com/mm2.html
im unsure how to set up the footswitch to be honest, for a bypass and/or the change between 80's or 90's sound which you can have with this regular switch shown on in the circuit
im using the 6pin footswitch not the 9 block of pins
sweeeeet
cheers again man!

edit: also out of interest how do you recieve karma on the forum?

Dylan

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 04:50:36 AM »

I know this is a kind of old thread, but I thought some folks might still need help setting up their footswitches. Here's a little diagram I threw together in a minute to show you how to set up a 3PDT true bypass footswitch.
www.palmetronics.com
BitCoin accepted.