Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: pitch bending a speak and read  (Read 6064 times)

smojo

• I love making my own experimental instruments
    • smojomusic
pitch bending a speak and read
« on: July 08, 2011, 07:43:25 PM »

I'm currently working on a Speak and Read but struggling a bit. I'd love to find the picth bend on them but so far have only been able to drop the pitch a little with a cap across two points. Seen some on Youtube with a good range on a pot but can't seem to find a clock resistor to change like you can on simpler toys. Found some loops and sitortions but like to take it further. Any hints welcome please.
The rule is "there are no rules"

Ciderfeks

• Way to much time on his hands
Re: pitch bending a speak and read
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 09:48:53 PM »

You will be looking for three points on a Speak & XXXX toy for your pitch mod - pitch base, pitch up and pitch down. You will wire pitch base to the center lug of your pitch pot (probably a 100k pot) and the "up" and "down" points get wired to either side to give you a nice pitch sweep from a single pot. You will need to fine tune each side with a trimmer pot or fixed resistor to prevent frequent crashes at the extremes. There are plenty of schematics on line for the Speak& XXXX range, I think the Read is about the same as the Spell and Math, Casperelectronics has loads of comprehensive diagrams to follow. Have fun!

smojo

• I love making my own experimental instruments
    • smojomusic
Re: pitch bending a speak and read
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 09:41:52 AM »

cheers, I did find a bizarre pitch bend point by accident. Can't remember exact point but found it when I accidentally touched the batteries with one hand whilst searching with the other. It involved taking a tap from the mid point of the battery connection (3V) through a pot to somewhere on the board. Gives me a picth down bend. For now I've drawn a line on the project as it was taking so long to complete. Might go back to it some day but it has some cool loops and glitches so reasonably satisfied.
The rule is "there are no rules"