Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: backlit lcd display on cz101  (Read 6947 times)

lazydog

• Way to much time on his hands

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
Re: backlit lcd display on cz101
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 09:03:40 PM »

the MC202 doesn't use the same type of LCD, although I guess you could work out some way of backlighting it.  The edge-lit display in my Yaesu FT290 is pretty similar construction to an MC202 display.

You can change out the LCD on damn near anything that uses an HD44780-type display, for one with a different colour backlight.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 11:56:46 PM »

do you reckon this could be done to a mc202? what is involved?
(could be fun on many old drum machines etc. too)

The MC202 doesn't have a dot matrix LCD display. It just displays certain characters, like an 80's digital watch

Theres been some discussion on backlighting screens before before http://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,945.0.html

I've always had this weird psycho-acoustic thing where my ears will tell me that something with a green/yellow screen backlight tends to sound more digital than other coloured screens, possibly due to the amount of crappy Yamaha gear i've used over the years. It got so bad i actually had to change the screen on my Nord modular, which is kind of tragic  :-\
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

lazydog

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 08:54:30 PM »

wot, to orange? i always quite liked the grey hr16 ( did you ever find the button
combination on that that told you who designed the OS?)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 01:35:50 PM by lazydog »

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 05:07:43 PM »

I've been attempting to replace the 16x1 LCD screen in my RZ1 with a proper LED backlit one as the inverter for the EL backlight causes a ridiculous amount of whine on the audio outputs.

At first i accidently bought a 16x2 display, and the RZ1 characters displayed perfectly on the top line of the screen, so i bought a 16x1 screen only to find that it would only display the first 8 characters.

From a bit of research on the net i've discovered that there are two types of 16x1 display. The first is very common these days and is in fact the equivalent of two 8x1 displays side by side. This type is used in virtually everything and can be bought for about £3-£4 from ebay. The second is much rarer these days, and uses an extra 'auxiliary driver' chip on the display board to actually display 16x1 characters.

Guess which version the RZ uses?

It seems that if you use a new 8x1 side by side display with a machine that wants a rarer 16x1 display, the screen will work as if its displaying two lines of 8 characters, one above the other. Obviously with a single line display this means you only get the first 8 characters visible.

Does anyone know where to get a 16x1 display with an auxiliary driver chip on board these days? Or is there any kind of bodge job i can do to get a newer screen working?

i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool