Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: CASIO RZ-1 FAULT  (Read 9738 times)

valvusmusicus

CASIO RZ-1 FAULT
« on: April 25, 2012, 03:52:53 PM »

Hi All
Great Forum!!
I have an RZ-1 that has a button problem
The 2 buttons ride and cowbell will not respond. I have replaced the ribbon cable with a hardwired loom-still no joy.
I have checked the membrane of the button, and the contact on the PCB it completes the circuit with-OK
Ive cheked the continuity of the new loom between the main PCB and the pad board it connects to-all OK
I dont have a schematic-so is there a KBD scanner chip/logic chip that reads the button pushes please

ALSO ANYONE HAVE A SERVICE MANUAL/SCHEMATIC PLEASE.

I also need a set of slider knobs!!

Thanks in anticipation

:)

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: CASIO RZ-1 FAULT
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 04:36:00 PM »

are you sure its the actual buttons that are the problem and its not triggering the sounds perfectly but you can't hear them because something else isn't working? I think i'd be looking at a fader or jack socket switching problem first, although i seem to recall those sounds have shared faders with other sounds.

If know the hardware of the buttons is working and you know which pins of the loom are connected when you press the buttons,  can't you just trace where the signal goes after the loom connects to the main board? Surely that will be your first suspect?

I've never seen a RZ1 service manual.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

valvusmusicus

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 09:04:46 PM »

are you sure its the actual buttons that are the problem and its not triggering the sounds perfectly but you can't hear them because something else isn't working? I think i'd be looking at a fader or jack socket switching problem first, although i seem to recall those sounds have shared faders with other sounds.

If know the hardware of the buttons is working and you know which pins of the loom are connected when you press the buttons,  can't you just trace where the signal goes after the loom connects to the main board? Surely that will be your first suspect?

I've never seen a RZ1 service manual.

Hi There
Thanks for that-yes the buttons when pushed-do seem to make a cicuit-so tracing further down the line seems a place to start
Just wondered what that actually does when a button press is detected-does it have something to do with the diode matrix, ie, short it to grnd, and send a"0" or"1" to another chip that senses this and does something with that data. Jack switching, I gues when you put a jack into the individual out for both those sounds that are not working (they share the same output and level fader I think) it takes the sound out of the mix output
Or could both these sounds just be turned down in the editing page relevant to them??
Ill investigate further and post my findings

Thanks again

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 04:34:36 PM »

Theres some useful info on keyswitch matrix decoding here http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/keyswitch.htm

I don't think the RZ has parameters for pad volumes, its all done with the level faders. I would definitely rule out anything hardware based, like a dodgy connection, socket or fader, before suspecting something electronic.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

valvusmusicus

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 05:18:34 PM »

Theres some useful info on keyswitch matrix decoding here http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/keyswitch.htm

I don't think the RZ has parameters for pad volumes, its all done with the level faders. I would definitely rule out anything hardware based, like a dodgy connection, socket or fader, before suspecting something electronic.
Hi
Thanks for that-there is a faint sound in the mix output of these 2 sounds,clap and ride, independant of the fader level which incidentaly share the same output jack and fader. Also pressing the accent key makes them slightly louder in the mix output, as you would expect. Im begining to think its the fader or the jack switching
All input would be gresatfully received

Gordonjcp

• http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 09:54:47 PM »

Start at the output jack and trace it back.  There are contacts on the jacks that close when no plug is inserted - it may be that this is manky or damaged.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.