Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Newbie, advice and feedback greatly appreciated  (Read 7075 times)

KGBgreece

Newbie, advice and feedback greatly appreciated
« on: January 27, 2013, 04:58:56 PM »

I am 33, an amateur musician and noise / experimental friend for over 15 years now.

Early years I mostly sequenced in computer programs from AMIGA MOD format in PC soundcard, then MIDI orchestrations. Later years I bought more equipment, last years I got | proper roland synth [sh201] , percussions, real drums and got invloved more into expression playing,  jamming improvisations and performance in my little home studio.

I had heard of this circuit bending for some time now and loved it, and even though I have had electronics training in uni, I never really got invoved with it, and didn't think I would have chances to make it... even though it always interested me.

Couple days ago, I stumbled an awesome circuit bending site,
http://weltenschule.de/ and a spend the entire night reading there. After some hours of readiong about what kind of keyboards are more suitable for bending, I thought of looking about Yahama psr - 6, my first keyboard as | child, which I had left in a friend for years. I found out it is pretty suitable for bending, also some nice videos in youtube.

This had me interested again, but this time I thought I could make it, at least have a nice time experimenting with a wire!

I understand basics of circuits, when they are reasonably small but I never got deep into it. I understand part of what is discussed by advanced users, and learn something, and I hope I can be helped without being a pain in the ass due to my lack of skills and knowledge. I am pretty willing to learn though, and I am pretty hot on this new activity, at least making a couple of decent attempts.

I also bought a cheap toy keyoard with which I experimented a bit and actually made it to create some wacky sounds , even though it is not directly altering the tone played by keyboards - cant experiment further with that if I dont buy a soldering pen.

I found out that an ARION stereo flanger I got is also ideal for bending, and also I managed to created interesting sounds with it playing with a wire.

Finally I got the PSR-6 from that friend and opened it up, but didn't get to experiement.

I did all these preparation [weekend] with no soldering equipment and crocodiles, so what I could do was quite limited. Tomorow I am grabbing materials.

Maybe I could share the experimentations here in this thread, and I would love it if I received a feedback of any kind.

YAMAHA PSR-6

SHEN KONG [cheap ass toy keyboard I bought to experiment so as not to spoil the psr]

this has a TDA2822M, which is mostly used as an amplifier. Despite this is a pretty small circuit, depending to the psr, I cannot understand much, lol, f.e. if the TD2822 is indeed an amplifier and the sound/osc generators are on the vertical mini circuit shown or something else - to be on the safe side, I tried to avoidthe possibility of shortcircuiting its pins. I have managed to create sounds short-circuiting couple pins near the TDA2822 pins to pins near the speaker, 4 different frequencies, I think they were  x, 2x, 4x, 8x , from the sound of it. Connecting an old potentiometer I found and using 2 pair of hands, as I had no crocodiles, I managed to tweek the sounds in all 4 tones. This was really delighting.

I am not sure if this is considered circuit bending, as this might be not a proper osc signal but a feedback.

anyway, not sure, But I thought I could share my experiences!

ARION stereo FLANGER SFL-1

KGBgreece

Re: Newbie, advice and feedback greatly appreciated
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 01:17:50 PM »

wow

this forum is dead, but hasn't realised yet.

I am outta here

Synthetech

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 11:20:37 PM »

Yea it's pretty slow on here.. but people do check in now and then....

KGBgreece

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 03:51:54 PM »

even then, you did even leave a single trace of feedback for what I wrote, even though you did check the thread..

like a side, outtahere

there's some nice info on the main site though.

I did bend my Yamaha psr 6, and going on, so you might find me in

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-11677.html

where there is a dedicated thread in bending the psr-6, especially the 8 line FM rerouting.

Cheers and happy bending...

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 05:54:32 PM »

Well theres a lesson on how to get people to ignore you on a forum.  ;)

It might surprise you, but you aren't actually entitled to a response. If people aren't interested in your post, or think its too long to read, then berating them for it won't make you any friends or make people more likely to respond.

"like a side, outtahere"

What?  ::)
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool