Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Yamaha pss270 Power, No audio  (Read 9239 times)

krackad

Yamaha pss270 Power, No audio
« on: February 16, 2013, 01:25:56 AM »

Just attempted circuit bending one of these, got it all put back together theres power and the buttons are responsive but im getting no audio from internal or the audio out...Any Ideas?

01012k7

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
    • ANALOG SYNTH
Re: Yamaha pss270 Power, No audio
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 11:26:12 AM »

think you have to look at what you have done first can you disconnect mods you done to see if it still works just in case you have shorted some things out also make shure your audio setup is working too if all that working and the unit still works maybe a good idea to post your mods just in case you over look somethng ..
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 08:10:00 PM by 01012k7 »

krackad

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 02:42:14 PM »

This is the tutorial I am using http://circuit-bent.net/pss-270-tutorial.html I have the traces cut, and have wired 3 toggle switches from the red to the blue dots, I have one spot where my solder ran together a little bit, Im not sure if that would effect the outcome for the sound or not as I am new to circuit bending. I did have a little bit of a response from some of the keys, but lost it shortly after. When the volume is turned up there is a humming sound, theres just no response from the keys. In the tutorial it shows the 4 green dots but tells you to ignore them is there something I might be missing with those? Any help would be great, would love to get this thing working.

krackad

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 07:32:28 PM »

Heres the cut traces and the wires soldered to the pins....Any Ideas?

01012k7

• ANALOG SYNTH
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 08:07:47 PM »

Heres the cut traces and the wires soldered to the pins....Any Ideas?

ok i maybe wrong but look like some of the wires could be to thick and touching also use a meter make shure the cuts are still not connected when soldering chips don't like to get tohot as they fail so you may have over heated the chips so try to re start the bending with thiin wires and make shure before connecting the breaks in the tracks are correct and still not connected  thats my view but i am learning my self ..

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 09:06:15 PM »

Fucking hell, what a mess!

Remove the wires, clean up all the excess solder with some braid, and try again using thinner wires with the ends trimmed neatly.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

01012k7

• ANALOG SYNTH
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 10:53:11 PM »

Fucking hell, what a mess!

Remove the wires, clean up all the excess solder with some braid, and try again using thinner wires with the ends trimmed neatly.
he right  in what he saying most of the people here understand a lot about electronics so i would take note .. also one of the biggest problems i have had  is  wiring and soldering, so i nomal strip my wire tin then cut to about 4 mm .
I have also found drilling tracks is better or dremel works too.
P.S i have 1337 skills in being brown noser :)

krackad

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 11:58:14 PM »

Any advice is welcomed, this is my first bend, I did finally get my audio back after closing all the circuits, the keys arent responding quite right but it is def responding now...thank you!

01012k7

• ANALOG SYNTH
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 06:52:01 AM »

(16 wires in place. Some people recommend drilling very small holes on both sides of the trace cuts, and putting wires through them) thats one of the tips he gives on his site, thats a good tip and just get hold  0.7 mm drill bit then you could have the wires comming out the other side of the board thats y i got dremel to cut tracks and  help with case cutting too..

http://www.maplin.co.uk/type-2145-pcb-solder-pins-1933

krackad

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 01:17:16 AM »

Thanks for the tips! When drilling the holes where exactly do you want to drill as to not damage the circuit board? Everything is up and running now, full audio back, cleaned things up a bit, but only have three toggle switches in so Ill  have to add the rest later.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 01:41:36 AM »

It really does pay to do things as neatly as you can, even to the extent of using cable ties and routing wiring properly. An hour or so learning to solder and desolder stuff neatly will save hours in the future when something doesn't work quite right and you need to track down a solder bridge or short.

I'm sure we've all closed up a casing and powered something up, only to find that a loose wire has got caught somewhere and a sharp solder joint has penetrated the insulation causing a short that sends something up in smoke. Or at least something along those lines.  :-\
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

01012k7

• ANALOG SYNTH
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2013, 06:08:01 PM »

Thanks for the tips! When drilling the holes where exactly do you want to drill as to not damage the circuit board? Everything is up and running now, full audio back, cleaned things up a bit, but only have three toggle switches in so Ill  have to add the rest later.
not don't much in circuit bending yet i have the korg monotron i am doing and the a casio mt-740 which cost me including post 7.49 if the guy sends it but i guess when i drill the tracks to break the links i will use a dremel or drill then if i am adding wires may use the pcb board pins then solder wires on to this then heat srink the wires if then it don't work you done the best job you can allways nice to show stuff to the guys here as they know a lot about this sort of thing ..

Gordonjcp

• http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 08:26:14 PM »

Cable ties?  P'shaw, amateurs!  Learn to do proper oldschool wiring loom lacing... ;-)
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.