Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: pots for bends? 100k 250k 500K  (Read 5666 times)

raygunduck

• Xenotath
pots for bends? 100k 250k 500K
« on: July 16, 2012, 06:44:00 PM »

i have to do some bends on a casio pt 10, i have some photos of bends but i don't know the  resist. of the pots, if i use a pot with more Kohm it's dangerous?

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: pots for bends? 100k 250k 500K
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 08:03:25 PM »

I'm sure there must be a situation where using a pot with too high a value could be dangerous in a low voltage circuit like a PT10, but i can't think of one off the top of my head. All that will happen is that you won't get such a good usable range. This is where having a wide range of pots comes in handy, so you can find the one with the best response by swapping them out.

You can find the best pot to use by starting with something like a 100K or 470K, finding the rotary position for the most usable maximum resistance, and then taking the pot out of the circuit an measuring what its set too with a meter. Chose a pot with a value near to that number.

Too low a resistance might prove an issue in certain situations, so you might need to add a resistor in line with the pot for certain controls to stop a crash or some other unwanted effect.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool