Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Regarding the DR-110 DIN sync mod kit  (Read 7954 times)

AaronSwain

Regarding the DR-110 DIN sync mod kit
« on: August 19, 2013, 08:14:33 PM »

Is there any reason adding an inline 1/8th inch clock in (tip-->pin 3 & sleeve-->pin 2) to your DR-110 DIN sync mod kit would not work? I have more gear that outputs +5v clock pulses at 24ppq than DIN sync, but I also don't want to fry your mod.

Thanks in advance!

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Regarding the DR-110 DIN sync mod kit
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 08:14:34 PM »

that should work fine in theory, as long as you also supply 5v to pin 1 for the RUN signal at the same time at the same time. The DIN sync clock is just a regular series of +5v clock pulses at 24ppqn anyway.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

AaronSwain

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 08:35:18 PM »

That's what I thought. Thanks!
I'll probably being ordering one of those very soon.

Does your circuit bypass the start/stop buttons when DIN sync is enabled (so start/stop pulse must be sent by the master) or do they retain functionality, so start/reset can still be controlled via the buttons while sequencer waits for a clock pulse from pin 3? Because I kind of like that method, honestly. I usually don't stop the sequencer during performance anyway, and sometimes it can lead to unexpected polyrhythms and other happy accidents.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:45:52 PM by AaronSwain »

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 09:59:52 PM »

The DIN-sync run signal isn't a pulse. When you press play the run pin will go high, and pressing stop will take it low again.

There a switch in the kit thats wired up to select between internal and external clock.  When the switch is set to external sync and the DIN-sync run pin is high, the wires from the PCB to the play and stop buttons take the play button high and the stop button low. This starts playback in sync with the clock.
When the run pin goes low, the play button also goes low and the stop button goes high. This stops playback and resets the DR110 to the start of the bar.

If you set the switch to internal clock the play and stop buttons float, so they can then be pressed from the front panel without interference from the sync interface.

In external sync mode pressing stop while the DR110 is running will stop it, but pressing play won't do anything as it won't start playing again until the master clock restarts. If you leave the stop button wire disconnected the DR110 won't automatically reset when the master clock stops, so it'll just restart where it left off when the master restarts.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

AaronSwain

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 10:51:37 PM »

Hmmm. Sounds like it's worth a try at least. Thanks, again!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 10:57:31 PM by AaronSwain »