Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Another Damn Cheetah MD-16 Battery Question  (Read 6972 times)

Wiu

Another Damn Cheetah MD-16 Battery Question
« on: November 13, 2014, 06:59:06 PM »

Hiya,

I need to change the battery in my MD-16.  I was just wondering if someone could point me in the direction of a replacement.  I've found this one on ebay which seems like it could do the job, but the dimensions seem a very slightly out. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECHARGEABLE-BATTERY-NI-MH-MEMPAC-PCB-3-6V-VARTA-3-V150H-/121476093978?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_Batteries_SM&hash=item1c488a181a

I read in another thread that a replacement that is 150mAh (not the originals 100mAh) is okay.  Also, there was a bit of old leakage which I need to clean up.  Should I unsolder and remove the resistors to really get it cleaned or is it a case of the leak is so old, if it was gonna break it would of already done so?  Or the leakage going to keep eating away until it will break?

Sorry for the more than likely idiotic questions, but as I'm sure you've guessed I'm not very experienced with this stuff.  I'm still amazed I got a Shurthi together without any kind of shock, fire or other injury.

Thanks for any help :)

Wiu

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Another Damn Cheetah MD-16 Battery Question
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 09:27:37 PM »

That battery should work. You might have to leave it on for half an hour or so after installation and then restart it with a cold start as described elsewhere on this forum, so the battery holds enough charge to run the thing.

I'd advise getting as much battery leakage off the board as you can. Try using white household vinegar and a cotton bud. Contrary to popular belief the battery leakage isn't acid but potassium hydroxide. A gentle acid such as vinegar should literally foam it off the board or neutralise it
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Wiu

Re: Another Damn Cheetah MD-16 Battery Question
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 06:45:00 PM »

That battery should work. You might have to leave it on for half an hour or so after installation and then restart it with a cold start as described elsewhere on this forum, so the battery holds enough charge to run the thing.

I'd advise getting as much battery leakage off the board as you can. Try using white household vinegar and a cotton bud. Contrary to popular belief the battery leakage isn't acid but potassium hydroxide. A gentle acid such as vinegar should literally foam it off the board or neutralise it

Thank you for the help!  Much appreciated  :)