Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Batteries over heating.  (Read 7056 times)

TinyObjekts

Batteries over heating.
« on: November 28, 2014, 01:41:54 PM »

Okay, I deleted this post earlier because I thought I had figured out the problem. Well, I was wrong. I'm bending a Star Trek Next Generation phazer,if that helps. The problem is the batteries I have are overheating while the device is off. I'm not sure, but they don't seem to overheat when it's on; I think that's just me though. There appears to be 0.32 volts going through the circuit while its off, I just can't figure out how to stop it, nor do I know whether or not that is normal. Let me know if you need any more info. Thanks everyone!

wax+wire

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Re: Batteries over heating.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 11:08:00 PM »

before or after the bends?

I'd take the battery out, and test the resistance between the + and - poles if it decreases when turned off, something is going on

TinyObjekts

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 10:46:11 PM »

After the bends. Yeah, I will have to borrow a multimeter at some point soon to check it out thoroughly. I should also mention I am using two C batteries instead of the original AA's. However, it doesn't make a difference except it has no range with AA's. I did notice the - terminal on the battery case seems to heat up first.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 02:48:39 PM »

I'd say you've got something shorted out thats causing it to pull a lot more current than it should be. Do the batteries go flat incredibly quickly?

At a guess something you've done with  the power switch/button is causing a short across the battery terminals when you switch the thing off
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

TinyObjekts

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 09:47:30 PM »

Yeah, now that you mention it, I don't remember it overheating before I added the switch. Finally getting some time to work on it tonight  so we'll see. Thanks again