Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: CB55 Mods *Updated*  (Read 34641 times)

grilojoe

Re: CB55 Mods *Updated*
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 08:23:55 AM »

if i want to use individual level control for each drum sound, would I still need the mix level? Seems like it'd be redundant, meaning I could jumper pads 2 & 3 where that pot goes.

Also, I thought I'd try using a dual gang pot for the snare and hats so noise that goes straight to the mix out for each would be controlled at the same time as the individual drum sounds.

Have I missed anything?

Gunnar333

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2016, 08:32:26 PM »

if i want to use individual level control for each drum sound, would I still need the mix level? Seems like it'd be redundant, meaning I could jumper pads 2 & 3 where that pot goes.

Also, I thought I'd try using a dual gang pot for the snare and hats so noise that goes straight to the mix out for each would be controlled at the same time as the individual drum sounds.

Have I missed anything?

Did you tried it? Does it work as expected?

cgodzillai

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 03:26:37 PM »

Hi,

i received this bord last year and never started it.
i want to go fo for the basic version with seperate outputs.
but of course the gert mod looks nice although my knowledge on electronic is so limited i'm afraid to read the drawings wrong and do something bad.

But let's be ambitious i have a question you guys might be able to answer.
i do soundtrack more then EDM. I love to use some small attack time on analog drums (!) it removes some punch and can transform the sound to something almost noisy. that is perfect for underscor pulsation rather than rythmic drums

is there any chance to mod something where we could get an attack time knob on the sounds ?(even a few milliseconds)

timequake

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 12:51:45 PM »

After hearing the recording at Soundcloud... Does BD Resonance from Gert's mods act as BD Decay?

I just got the PCB and I am trying to organize different mods I see in this thread? Has anyone tried the mods Barcode posted?

tigerstyleee

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2018, 06:57:37 PM »

Anyone willing to sell their build or to make a new one for money? Thanks!

kragg

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2019, 02:15:03 PM »

Hello
I am new here, and just bought a CB55 pcb.
I would like to add a couple parameters to tweak for each drum sound, and i am wondering if there are any mods for the hihats ?
Is there any way to change the decay and the tuning of the hihats (or any other parameter) as easily as for the other drumsounds ?
Thank you

kragg

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 02:24:34 PM »

Hello,

- About the BASS DECAY mod (replaceing R33 -820R- by a 1K pot+ trimmer) : will increasing the resistance increase the decay, or actually reduce the decay ? I am wondering this, because the suggested mod value is « only » twice the original resistance value, and the standard bassdrum of the DR55 doesn’t feature a very long decay. So, will increasing the R33 resistance to a 1K pot+500R trimmer will only allow for twice longer bass drums, or should i try with a 2,5K pot if i am aiming for very long bassdrum sounds ?

- About the RIMSHOT tune, I have found two suggested ways to make the modification, and i would like to have a confirmation that i didn’t make any mistake and/or that the modification is verified :  On the circuitbenders forum, i read that in order to allow for changing the rimshot tune, i have to replace R43 (2,2M) with a 1M pot + 2M trimmer.
But on « bestsoldering » website (which also make a PCB), they suggest to change R44 from the original schematic (which is a 22K resistor) with a 50K pot.
Could anyone confirm that changing CB55’s R43 (2,2M) with a 1M pot + 2M trimmer is the right way to do (or, at least, verified) ?

- I didn’t see any mods related to the HI-HATS on the  circuitbenders forum. But, on some websites, i have read that some mods could be done for the hihat decay and hihat tune :
1- putting several capacitors on a switch instead of CB55’s C35 (6,8nF) might change the hihat tune : could you confirm that ?
2- And it seems that the hihat decay could be set by replacing R55 (1M) from the original schematic with a 2M pot. On the  circuitbenders CB55, is « R55 » replaced by « R66 » or « R70 » (both are 1M) ? So which one is the one to change ? And do you know if the mod would work ?

- At last, I am willing to make one or two mods to the snare drum, but i don’t want to mess the nice sonic balance of the original sound and lose its overall character. Do you have any advice ? Which mod(s) would be the best for you ? Decay noise (R58 replaced by a 1M pot)?Pitch Element decay (R52 replaced by a pot) ? Pitch Element tune (R50 replaced by a pot) ? Or any other mod ?

Thank you in advance !
 ;)

zorius

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 07:45:48 AM »

I have a working build, although a bit noisy. And with the tone/volume section there is even hum. So I cannot use that part. But it's not a problem, because I realized, that I would like to finish it with individual outs wired into a small 4 channel mixer board, and put it also in the box with 4 vol pots.
And I will use another own designed layout, based on the EHX LPB1 booster and the 2 band James Tone Stack. It also will go into the enclosure.
The midi is working too, as I mentioned in the other topic.
But with the mods, I was not lucky. The only usable ones are: bass decay, bass pitch and noise amount.
I do not want to box it, until the mods are not cleared. It would be very great, for once and for all to have the working mods listed, maybe with sound demos. Anyone? It would be great to clarify it already! Please, thanks!

kragg

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 01:09:31 PM »

Thank you for your feedback.

The only usable ones are: bass decay, bass pitch
Do you think that with the suggested values (1Kpot+500r trimmer), the bass decay range is good ?

Which mods did you try and ended up finding not usable ?
Did you try the suggested mods for the rimshot (tune and decay) ? Didn't you like it ?
Did you try some mods for the snare and the hihats ?

kragg

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2019, 01:38:56 PM »

Hi,
How hard (easy?) would it be to add leds when each voices are triggered ?

bodster

CB55 mods
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2019, 06:20:31 PM »

Hi people,

First post on here, so apologies in advance for any duplication or repetition on my part.

Has anyone got a definitive list of all the mods for this groovy little machine? I've built a really nice fully-working model, with switched separate outputs and no hum or crackle or anything like that. I also now have a rather smart looking Eurorack front panel for it when finished. I'm currently controlling it very nicely from my Beatstep Pro.

I'm sure I wouldn't be the only person who would really benefit from a good, solid list of mods. If I can get them all to work I might even produce a basic updated version of the 'build manual' schematic for them...

I also have a rather shambolic list of possible mods for it, none of which I am 100% sure about yet... I am relatively new to DIY building so I still have some huge gaps in my basic knowledge, so what may seem simple to you guys might be completely new to me.

Here is the list I've compiled with my basic queries afterwards:

Bass drum decay:
Replace R33 with a 1kb pot and a 500R trimmer

Bass drum pitch:
Replace R31 with a 1mb pot and a 2m trimmer

Snare drum pitch:
Replace R50 with a 1mb pot and 2m trimmer

Rimshot pitch:
Replace R43 with a 1mb pot and 2m trimmer

To all of the above mods I have the same basic question - replace the resistors how? In what order/sequence? Using which pins to which ends of where the resistors where exactly?

I've also seen that some people have made mods for snare drum decay and colour, as well as the possibility of an 'open' hihat trigger...

Has anyone successfully performed these other mods?

Also, one final question. I have got separate outputs working fine, but I am such a newbie to this that I am not really sure even how to go about adding a level control for each sound. I understand that this must be by adding a pot for each sound, but what value should I use?

Sorry for all these questions and please feel free to tel me to f**k off, but the only way I know to learn is by asking others with more knowledge than me!

Cheers,

Bod

kragg

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2019, 09:04:06 PM »

Congratulations for your working build.
I built mine a couple weeks ago, and i'm still working on mods.
My advice would be to take time to tweak and experiment.
Bassdrum Decay is easy.
Rimshot mods are very interactive : changing one value can impact other rimshots mods, so again experiment (i ended up not keeping the decay mod, as along with tuning, it could go into self-oscillation too easily).
Snare decay is easy, too, and quite effective.
I also put several capacitors on a rotary switch, so i can have several hi-hat tune/filter setings, which i like.
I didn't manage to find a nice hi-hat decay mod.

bodster

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2019, 06:40:02 PM »

I have tried pretty much all of the mods I have found across the various forums and almost none have really worked for me. Does anyone have a definitive list of working mods please?
Pages: 1 [2]