Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SA-8  (Read 6245 times)

Margo Baggins

SA-8
« on: February 11, 2015, 09:34:43 AM »

Along with the millions of SA-BENT boards, I will add mine to the list,

First thing I've bent, took me a couple of evenings, I've built it for a friend. it really truly howls this thing, was fun to build.

I wanted to keep the speaker inside as I like the idea of portability, added a 1/4" jack output with a volume knob, added LTC1799 oscillator circuit and kept the original crystal so it's switchable, power crash, feedback and 5ths. Nothing groundbreaking, but I'm really happy with the final product, fits back together, is quite tidy, and it sounds awesome.

Took quite a while to get the oscillator set well, potentially there is a little more tweeking to be done there, but I increase the speed maybe 1/4 turn and then I get the full rest of the pot anti clockwise to slow it down, goes real slow. Power crash once again took a while to fine tune, but I get about 3/4 turn on that pot, nearly a full turn when the clock is real slow.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 10:04:24 AM by Margo Baggins »

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: SA-8
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 03:28:50 PM »

If i'm reading what you've written correctly, it might be an idea to play around with some pots with different response curves. Anti-log pots tend to be good for LTC's in my experience, but obviously it depends on the machien in question.

Good work though. I haven't done something like this for ages, although now i have a sudden urge to dig out an SA1 i know i've got buried somewhere.  ;)
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Margo Baggins

Re: SA-8
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 04:24:50 PM »

I haven't tried an antilog pot - I think at the moment I have a 22k pot on there, which seems to be about the sweet spot as I can get pretty much a the full range of the pot - but I don't think I have got the upper ceiling set high, if I turn the trim pot too much to the right the thing just won't boot, strangely enough, when the trim is too high it won't boot whereever the 22k pot is set, so I don't really understand that. But it goes higher and wayyyyyy lower, so that's quite cool. I think it's a cool little thing the module you sell :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 05:07:29 PM by Margo Baggins »