Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: RX17 (battery) power mod?  (Read 10064 times)

rjl

RX17 (battery) power mod?
« on: November 03, 2006, 01:21:39 AM »

Hi,

Quick question about bending a Yamaha RX17... I recently came across one for free (so I'm not too worried about frying it, and the stock sounds sound pretty putrid as is), and was thinking of bending it. However, it doesn't run off of batteries. I'd rather not bend something that plugs into AC power, so I was wondering if anyone has managed to rig a battery power supply for one of these - or another drum machine (or other device), at least for purposes of bending.

Any insight is appreciated.

edit: I'm currently running it off of a spareAC adapter rated:

Input: 120V AC 60hz 8W
Output: 12V DC 300mAh
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 01:26:18 AM by rjl »

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: RX17 (battery) power mod?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 01:20:57 PM »

This has been discussed a few time already on this forum and i've never heard anyone come up with a decent reason why machines running from a 12v 300ma power supply shouldn't be circuitbent.

When people say not to bend things running from the mains power unless you really know what you are doing it mainly applies to things that plug straight into the mains without an external power supply. Its extremely unlikely that anything in the circuit after the transformer in a power supply is going to contain enough juice to shock you let alone hurt you, unless there are some massive capacitors in there which there aren't on the RX17.

On the other hand i don't see any reason why it shouldn't be fairly easy to rig up a battery box. Just buy a battery holder that can hold enough batteries, wiire a power plug to it and your away. I can't imagine an RX17 draws that much current although i wouldn't be surprised if the batteries didn't last to long.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool