Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beginner question regarding switches, have they sent me the wrong ones?  (Read 5109 times)

xplor33

Hello, I am very new to circuit bending and have recently aquired a couple toys from a charity shop which I am hoping to mutate...

Iv been researching and gathering as much information as possible. Looking at the tips on this site I came across some links to equipment I needed. So I decided to purchase some switches....

I used the company reccomended (Rapid Electronics)

I ordered: Salecom T8013(2P)-SEBQ-H SPST On-off Miniature Toggle Switch (2 pins)

But when I look at the compononets I have received they all say on - on, on them, have I been sent the wrong ones or have I ordered the wrong thing?

If they are the wrong ones are they any use to me at all doing very simple bends?

any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

xplor33

Re: Beginner question regarding switches, have they sent me the wrong ones?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2016, 02:57:12 PM »

Im really confused here...  after reading some of the comments on the product page I found this:

"Q: Am I correct in assuming that there is a "centre off" position for this switch? I want to use the switch for an "on forwards, Off, on backwards" control switch for a battery operated motor.

A: Hi Trevor. Thank you for your question. You are correct - this switch has a centre off position and 2 latching positions."

However when I press the toggle it doesnt seem to sit in the middle at all?  :o

The world of circuit bending is baffling me already.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 11:13:51 PM »

SPST means single pole, single throw switches. This means that the switch connects the two pins in one position, and they're disconnected in the other.
SPDT (single pole, double throw) switches have 3 pins. In one position the centre pin will be connected to one outer pin, and in the other position it'll be connected to the other outer pin. You can use these in the same way as a SPST switch if you only use the middle pin and one of the outer pins.

An SPST 2 pin switch might well be labelled as on-on as they probably use the same metal parts for 2 pin and 3 pin switches, but if its only got two pins then only one position can possibly be on.

The switches you have don't have a centre position. They will be fine for any on/off switching you need to do.

The rapid site can be confusing in that all questions about any of the entire salecom miniature switch range will appear on the page for each individual switch. The questions and answers really should mention which specific switch they are referring to.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

xplor33

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2016, 11:27:35 AM »

Thanks a lot for your reply!

That has cleared up a lot of confusion.

Much appreciated.