Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: output jack  (Read 7435 times)

Beeker

output jack
« on: November 07, 2013, 01:41:11 AM »

Most toys I have bent I remove the speaker and use a 220k resistor to add a output jack. This usually makes for the right output volume for the output. I sometimes find that removing a speaker and putting a output jack gives me barely audible or no sound. What seems to be the problem and what can I do to make the toy audible? 

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: output jack
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 05:38:16 PM »

220K is very high. Have a look at this page http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/speaker_to_line.html

Sometimes you might find that the speaker appears to act like its part of the circuit, so you won't be able to actually remove it. In this case you might be able to get away with a dummy load, or just leave the speaker in place and wire an output off it.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

wax+wire

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 07:41:42 AM »

on a similar note, how do you work out which wire is the speaker ground and which is the signal?  one i've done hums now because i have it backwards

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 05:58:54 PM »

A lot of the time it doesn't matter that much, but the speaker itself will probably be marked with a + or -. If it isn't you can often tell which is the ground by tracing back from where the wires join to the board. You might well find the ground connects to the negative power input and / or the output sockets ground somewhere along the line
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

boneless

• Way to much time on his hands
    • Neal Beard and his Machines
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 08:27:10 PM »

I've just come up against this twice recently whilst bending crappy toys.

As mentioned usually a resistor equivalent to the speaker sorts it, but not for my burp-o-matic or hot-music so I had to wire their speakers internally into the new enclosures, and tap my line out off that.

This irked me, but I'm glad to hear sometimes that is the only option– thought it was just me being a dumb-ass....