Circuitbenders Forum > Parts, Components, Unbent machines & Junk

Idiot Question No. (1)

(1/2) > >>

Wiu:
So I've been ordering parts for my Phonic Taxidermist.  The electrolytic capacitors were delivered today and the 1uF and 10uF ones are freaking tiny.  I guess I lucked out on the 100uF and 470uF ones.  In true village idiot fashion, I kind of thought they were all standard sizes and the sizes increased the larger the uF amount.  So anyway, I was wondering if using small sized capacitors was okay?  They do fit the board and are rated correctly.

Thanks for any help,

Ian

I had a quick look around the forum, but couldn't find any threads on the Phonic Taxidermist yet, so posted it here as it's a component related question.

Circuitbenders:
Most 10uF caps are probably around 5mm in diameter, as are 1uF 50v ones, but you can get smaller ones that might be pennies more expensive for when space is at a premium.

The physical size doesn't really matter as long as the voltage is equal to or above the voltage stated in the guide, and they'll actually fit in the space.

Wiu:
Thank you for the reply  :)

Wiu:
Finally getting around to putting together 2 of these beasties.  I have a few more dim questions though...

Firstly, I just need to order the switches but having trouble figuring out which ones I need.  For the Mic/Line selector the build instructions say to use an SPDT which I'm assuming is an On-On?  Would the Freq Band Switches be the same or SPST's like these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-On-Off-Mini-Miniature-Toggle-Switch-Car-Dash-Dashboard-SPST/262013055814?hash=item3d0131f346:g:GVMAAOSwa-dWnq4~

I'm guessing the Delay Return will be the same switch as the Freq Band switches, but I'm really not sure.  Also, the switches seem to show power resistances etc.  Are these suitable or is there anything to be aware of when getting the switches?

Secondly, I plan to house both in a 1 or 2U rack.  Is it possible to power both from the same power supply or would this require quite a major mod (or major for a moron like me at least)?

Will be great to get these built so I can have a crack at a Harmonic Engine!

Sorry again for the idiotic questions and thanks for any help. 

Ian

Circuitbenders:
The mic/line selector switch needs to be SPDT as it need to swap between two different inputs i.e. the middle pin is connected to either one or the other of the other pins depending on the switch position.
The frequency band switches can be either SPST, or SPDT being used as an SPST i.e. only using two of the pins of the SPDT so it just works as an on and off switch..
Just buy SPDT switches and you can use them for everything. Theres not much point to SPST ones here.

There ratings on the switches aren't really relevant here. They are maximum tolerance ratings and unless something is VERY wrong you won't be approaching anywhere near those values.

You can easily power two of these boards from one power supply input on a rack.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version