Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Cheap old keyboards that use resistor ladders?  (Read 5157 times)

guntherbuffalo

Cheap old keyboards that use resistor ladders?
« on: August 06, 2016, 05:13:00 PM »

Hi there,

New to this forum, and to circuit bending! I am looking to mod a Korg Monotron to work with a keyboard and was wondering if any of you knew of any good examples of cheap small or toy keyboards (old casiotone, portasound, bontempi etc) that are small (ideally around 2 octaves) that I can keep an eye out for that you know have a resistor ladder already built in that I can look out for to mod for this project.

Any info would be appreciated!  :)

guntherbuffalo

Re: Cheap old keyboards that use resistor ladders?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 06:39:45 PM »

I have actually been looking at a Bontempi Memoplay. Does anyone have any experience with these/whether they have a resistor ladder?

Thanks

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Cheap old keyboards that use resistor ladders?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 01:20:10 AM »

To be honest i don't think you'll get anything cheap with a decent resistor ladder keyboard. For a start, it'd have to be analogue, as nothing digital is going to use a resistor ladder as it'd be pointless. Thats virtually every casio and yamaha etc out of contention.
They're also difficult to make with decent tuning, and the resistance of one keyboard might not necessarily be scaled for a Monotron anyway.

I'm told the yamaha YK10 and YK20 keyboards had resistance ladders, if you can find one.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool