Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Zoom 507 reverb pedal?  (Read 6413 times)

SamVsSound

• Sam Vs Sound
Zoom 507 reverb pedal?
« on: March 30, 2017, 03:50:14 AM »

So i've been playing around with a few differn't guitar pedals in the last few days and one which I found in my pile but haveen't had the chance to do much with yet is the Zoom 507 Reverb pedal (https://www.zoom-na.com/products/guitar-bass-effects/guitar/zoom-507-guitar-compact-multi-series)

This pedal is a programmable digital reverb/delay/chorus (with a built in chromatic tuner because... why not)

I've seen some really cool stuff done with the zoom 505 multi effects pedal which appears to have fairly similar hardware (though different functionality). I know with something digital such as this the bends may not be as straight forward as they would be with an analog reverb/delay but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these pedals that could give me some tips as far as whats possible/ where to get started 
Build documentation and tutorials available at:

www.SamVsSound.com
DIY Synths and Electronic Oddities

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Zoom 507 reverb pedal?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 05:41:31 PM »

Find the RAM chip and try shorting the pins. If its just reverb you won't get as good results as if it was delay, or some other effect that uses the RAM in a similar way, like pitch shifting, but you should be able to get something interesting if very noisy out of it.

You'll probably get more useful results from reclocking it with an LTC1799 module. Near the RAM there will probably be a gate array chip of some sort, probably surface mount. Near that there will be a crystal or ceramic resonator that sets the clock speed for the RAM usage. Pull that out and replace it with the output from an LTC1799.

i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

SamVsSound

• Sam Vs Sound
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 06:22:17 AM »

I was getting into some interesting noises playing with the ram chip but had a trace break when I was trying to solder on it lol, Sorta a silly rookie mistake but I got annoyed and had to put it aside for a bit.

I'm still very interested in playing with it though, especially after hearing a bit of what it can do, So I'll definitely be opening it back up and fixing it.

LTC1799's a good call, I don't have any right now but I just finished putting a patch bay in my old PSR-6 and I'm looking to put one in it as well so I'll probably be ordering a handful of em.

Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how things go

www.SamVsSound.com

SamVsSound

• Sam Vs Sound
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 03:33:49 PM »

Side note regarding the LTC1799. Would it be possible/practical to set up an LFO (555 or something) which modulates the LTC1799? I'm assuming if you put a vactrol in between the LTC1799 and another oscillator would accomplish this. I'd love to hear any thoughts you have on this

www.SamVsSound.com