Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Combining multiple SK1s into FrankenSynth  (Read 5087 times)

SynthularModulus

Combining multiple SK1s into FrankenSynth
« on: December 07, 2019, 08:26:12 PM »

Hi All, I recently acquired a second Casio SK1 to go along with my other relatively unbent SK1. My "new" SK1 has a few missing keys, and I am thinking of various solutions for dealing with that (other than just cannibalizing a third SK1 for its keys...) One thought I had is this:

Could I combine my 2 SK-1s together into a sort of "frankensynth," by splitting off from the ribbon cable that attaches to the keyboard? In other words, if I soldered extra wires to where the keyboard ribbon attaches to the main board, and then wired those in to the same spots on the second main board, would I be able to control both SK1s with a single keyboard? Obviously I can and will do some experimenting of my own, but I figured I would ask this question here first before diving in.

Has anyone experimented with this, or found other successful methods for combining two SK1s together? Thanks in advance for any info!

wax+wire

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Re: Combining multiple SK1s into FrankenSynth
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 08:31:56 AM »

have you had any luck

I've never done anything like this, but I've been thinking lately it would be cool.  I was thinking to do it with a midi retrofit box.  Being able to mix two circuit bent tones would be really nice - and not relying on the crappy plastic keyboard that has keys breaking on tour would be even better.,

SynthularModulus

Re: Combining multiple SK1s into FrankenSynth
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 09:26:04 PM »

No luck yet. I ended up taking my SK-1 project in an entirely different direction, a rather bizarre one that involves replacing the keyboard with a bank of switches and also adding a filter circuit. But since I have a few SK-1s laying around I may still try to do this at some point.

Midi retrofit is a good idea. How would you go about doing that?