Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Casio SA-2  (Read 21088 times)

ne7

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
    • ne7 web
Casio SA-2
« on: June 23, 2007, 03:26:33 AM »

Okay - I've been messing around in my SA2 again... seems the thing is FULL of bends - top five legs of the big chip counting from the left
Code: [Select]
 |||||||||||||||
[             ]
 |||||||||||||||
|

link up great (at least with the little bit of wire that i am drunkenly using to probe with) to the smaller chip on the right hand side of the board... via the 4th leg on the bottom row counting back from the right...
Code: [Select]
||||||||
[      ]
||||||||

making quick connections from those legs to leg 4 on the small chip spins out the SA2 and allows u to get to sounds and demos normally locked out (SA1 sounds) plus u can get some really messed up effects applied to the samples too which is fun... i had a weird arpeggio type thing appear (not sure if its just in the Sa1 as a preset as i havent got a SA1 to try here...)

Pin 1 on the big chip is bloody good - pissing around with this i was able to get the SA2 into drum mode where the KB is split (lower keys = drum / higher = snare / highhat and open hihat etc...

very cool
:)

i'm gonna wire up 5 momentary push on switches and have me some fun later, i've run out atm typically :)...

ne7
ne7/triad
------------------
http://ne7.untergrund.net

ne7

• ne7 web
Re: Casio SA-2
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 07:40:49 PM »

okay - i wired it up - used pin 1 on the big chip - connected to a 1M pot and a chance push to make button - lets me select (wibbling the pot about and hitting the push to make switch) lots of instruments that are unavailable - for example - split keyboard with access to the percussion sounds (4 of them bd, sn, hc, ho) - theres more too but i am going to faff with that later (it involves some more switches and stuff)

ne7/triad
------------------

nochtanseenspecht

• Three fingered inbred banjo plucker
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 08:32:08 PM »

do you mean pin 1 counting from the left side of the dot ? and where did you connect it to ?

ne7

• ne7 web
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 09:00:52 PM »

hiya - check the diagram in my first post ( turn the sa2 over - so that the arrow above the OPEN sign under the battery cover is pointing up ^)... pin 1 on the big chip connected to pin 4 on the smaller chip,

so >
pin1 chip 1 -> a momentary push to make -> 1M pot -> pin4 of chip 2

u can just fart about hitting the momentary switch as u turn the pot - brings up hidden demo tunes too... hehe like happy birthday :)

the other pins i mentioned in the first post would react well in the same way too...
ne7/triad
------------------

nochtanseenspecht

• Three fingered inbred banjo plucker
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 12:45:16 AM »

okay thanks, i have a sa2 laying open at the moment, so why not install your discoveries... :)

ne7

• ne7 web
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 10:21:42 AM »

let me know how it goes :) - i'm sure there is also a clean and easy way of putting the extra sound select buttons in (should have 0, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9) to get to all  the sounds even easier :)

the other pins give access to the other hidden demo tunes too - which is useful if u have yours set up as a random music generator (as per' ghazala)

ne7/triad
------------------

mq4

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 08:30:59 PM »

okay - i wired it up - used pin 1 on the big chip - connected to a 1M pot and a chance push to make button - lets me select (wibbling the pot about and hitting the push to make switch) lots of instruments that are unavailable - for example - split keyboard with access to the percussion sounds (4 of them bd, sn, hc, ho) - theres more too but i am going to faff with that later (it involves some more switches and stuff)

Did the pot change anything? I find that I get access to all those sounds just by shorting the whole thing very quickly. Also, you might want to check out the big chip, wiring pin 1 (the same you described) to the lower ones. This gives you access to even more sounds, like a choir sound and church organ. Pretty neat (:

ne7

• ne7 web
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 12:19:18 AM »

yea you can get to all the sounds that a sa1 has by changing which pin you connect to the pot btw...

i got an SA1 the other day from a car boot sale and did the battery drain mod on it (with a fine tune pot too) wow that thing makes some nutty noises :)
ne7/triad
------------------

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 12:06:46 AM »

THE REST OF THIS THREAD WAS DELETED BY ADMIN AS IT CONSISTED OF A CERTAIN USER WHO IS NOW BANNED SHAMELESSLY PROMOTING STUFF THEY HAVE FOR SALE AND GENERALLY BEING AN ASSHOLE. APOLOGIES IF SOME OF YOUR POSTS WENT WITH IT.,
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

ne7

• ne7 web
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 06:15:59 PM »

will try and find some time to pop up some pics of the hacked Sa-1 soon :)
ne7/triad
------------------

oogmizie

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 02:46:28 AM »

Just got one of these recently, thought I'd add a picture of SA-2 for reference.  Ignore the wires.

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 05:35:44 PM »

That looks pretty similar to the SA-1

Dylan

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 06:02:24 PM »

My SA2 died again on me the other night. Just gotta wait a week or two again and hope it comes back to life.
www.palmetronics.com
BitCoin accepted.

Gleix

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2009, 05:06:26 AM »

That looks pretty similar to the SA-1

The SA-1, 2, 7, 8 and 9 are all almost identical in terms of the mods you can achieve (with the addition/exception of "hidden sounds" and drum triggers for some).

The SA-5 is a bit different which would be obvious if you compare the stock features with other SA-X models.

phantompowers

• http://www.myspace.com/rockinrobzilla
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 10:05:05 AM »

So I finally finished my SA-2...thank fuck!!
Special thanks to Casper electronics schematics and Breakbeatnazi for all the relevant info.

BEND YOUR BRAIN
Pages: [1] 2