Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mounting pots  (Read 10348 times)

Doctor Bob

Mounting pots
« on: November 08, 2007, 12:21:37 AM »

When you attach a pot to the case of an instrument/toy, how do you go about it?

The main trouble I have is with that pin that prevents the pot from moving when you turn it. Quite often I find there is a place for the pot whereby the rest of the case locks it in place, thus reducing play in another way, but this seems a bit amateurish! What techniques do you use for mounting on a flat surface?

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Mounting pots
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 05:36:21 PM »

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here.

I just drill a hole, stick the pot in it and tighten the bolt. i'm not sure theres any other way of doing it is there? I just snip off that annoying pin that most pots have.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

octatone

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 07:27:59 PM »

I know what you are talking about (not all pots have it), just bend the pin down or cut it off.  If you tighten your nut right, it really serves no purpose.

Doctor Bob

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 09:32:21 PM »

That's exactly the problem I meant! I'd tried filing it off once, but that took ages. Didn't think of snipping it.

I'd been trying to think of ways to use a thin bit of wood with holes drilled in that would keep the pin in place. Might've been a nice touch, but if the washers and nuts do it fine, I guess there's no need.

I felt really dumb not knowing what to do on this one, searched about but the only information I could find online was patent applications! My side cutters come in handy once again  ;D

Doctor Bob

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 02:54:16 AM »

Sorry, forgot to say thanks to you both for you help. It's great to have somewhere experienced like this to turn when you get stuck.  :)

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 03:05:33 AM »

I've always wondered about that pin as well, and have been pulling it off consistently for some time now.  I'm heartened to see that even Paul thinks that it's useless.  I harbored secret fears that the really pro guys knew exactly what to do with that part.

I'd say save your diagonal cutters and just bend it off with some needle nose pliers.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 04:03:46 AM »

On some old Hi-Fi kit and rack effects i've seen there will actually be a hole punched in the panel next to the main hole for the pot that the pin fits into to locate the pot position and stop it turning when the nut is being tightened. Its usually found on units that have another fascia in front of the panel the controls are mounted on.

At a guess i'd imagine that its either used for stuff that has to be assembled quickly but accurately, or on expensive kit that has very precise internal wiring in looms where any pot movement might cause problems. Other than that i suppose it would keep a row of pots neatly in line on the front of a rack unit or similar but i can't imagine a situation where i'd ever really need to use it.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

iqoruvuc

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 08:59:30 AM »

If I am mounting lots of pots closely together and there isn't much room to get pliers or my hand in then putting then using the locating pin stops the pots from turning clockwise when I tighten them.  In prcatice it is quite difficult getting the pin the right place though.  Saying that though, I normally snap it off with a pair of pliers...