Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Casio SK5, SK8 "Phat Philterbank" mod is nearly here!!  (Read 8446 times)

gmeredith

• Closer to the meat
Casio SK5, SK8 "Phat Philterbank" mod is nearly here!!
« on: October 21, 2007, 11:38:15 PM »

Hi everyone!

I've just been developing some amazing new mods for the Casio SK5 and 8 keyboards! When I've completed them, I'll be uploading the mod instruction guides at the Yahoo Groups Casio SK site:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasioSK/

I'm almost certain these mods will work on the SK1 as well, I just don't have one to try it on, but the schematics seem to show it's the same as the SK5/8.

In the meantime, here is my promo for them at the Yahoo site:

Casio SK Phat Philterbank mods

Here is what's in store when they are completed and road-tested:

*** Instrument Slow Attack/Decay mod (already completed and running)***

- This mod will allow you to change the attack and decay of all of the SK instrument sounds, including samples. You will be especially able to turn the fast attack/decay sounds into slower attack/decay rates, for things like string pad sounds, using a multi selector switch. A simple mod, inexpensive and great sounding!

*** Drum Rhythm Sounds VCF Filter (already completed and running): ***

- This is a VCF filter for the drum rhythm sounds, with manual frequency and resonance controls, so you can do all those great sweeping filter sounds, like starting from a completely muffled, dead thud, opening up to midrange bite, through to sparkly trebles!

It also has a CV input for control from a keyboard controller or sequencer and a MIDI-CV unit like a Kenton CV box - you can control the filter frequency remotely and sequence it!!

You can also trigger the filter from an instrument sound envelope. For example, selecting a fast attack, slow decaying instrument sound, such as the guitar preset will cause the drum rhythm sounds to start out bright and trebly, and gradually decay into a muffled, dead thud sound. Choose a slow attack instrument, like the violin - the opposite happens. Choosing the sample envelopes will give even more variety. This mod benefits even greater if you do Plutoniq's "Drums Direct Output mod" (in the FILES section on the Yahoo site) - it means that you can have the instrument volume turned right down to zero, and have the drum and filter sound still playing without an instrument note playing over the top of it.

And now, introducing the big one:-

****** PHAT PHILTERBANK ******

- A FULL BLOWN, POLYPHONIC 4-VOICE VCF FILTER FOR THE INSTRUMENT AND SAMPLE SOUNDS!! (partially completed and running)

This mod will blow you all away!!!!!!!!!!!!
It truly turns the humble SK5/8 into an analog monster machine!

This true polyphonic 4-voice VCF filter has frequency and resonance controls, CV input, and attack/decay selection!

You can choose manual control cutoff frequency, or select "envelope" control, where the filter follows the attack/decay envelope of the sound selected. You can also select LFO control of the filter if you have the LFO mod installed.

For example, selecting a sound like the violin preset will give a "wwhhaahwww" type filter sound. Choose a fast attack/slow delay sound like piano or guitar will give an "aaaoowww" type sound!! Using the sample envelopes will give even more variety.

You can also vary the filter attack/decay rates - this has the "Instrument Slow Attack/Decay mod" already incorporated into it!

Well, I hope that has given you all something to dream about! I'm going to also upload audio samples, to give you an idea of how each mod sounds, and what it's capable of. It should take me about 2 or 3 weeks to finalise all of the guides and upload them, so keep posted and watch this space!!!!

Cheers, Graham
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 01:04:31 AM by gmeredith »

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
Re: Casio SK5, SK8 "Phat Philterbank" mod is nearly here!!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 09:40:14 PM »

I'm gleefully rubbing my hands together in anticipation!

gmeredith

• Closer to the meat
Re: Casio SK5, SK8 "Phat Philterbank" mod is nearly here!!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 10:56:42 PM »

Latest progress update:

Just completed the 4-voice VCF board prototype, working well and sounds amazing!! I need to get input and output level balances right yet, and also try and locate some miniature 4-gang potentiometers (10k and 100k). If I can't, I'm figuring out a way to stick together 4 trimpots in a stack to do the job, which will also be the world's smallest 4-gang potentiometer!! I'm trying this because of my obsession with aesthetics and making things neat, and fitting the controls in just the right places. If you're not so worried about where they go, you can use these and mount them any where you like:

http://www.alphapotentiometers.net/html/8mm_pot_4.html

I'll keep you posted for more developments

Cheers, Graham