Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: bendable guitar effects?  (Read 9996 times)

fuzzhead

bendable guitar effects?
« on: November 24, 2007, 10:18:01 PM »

hi, i play guitar and i really want to know if you can circuit bend guitar effects like the electro harmonix big muff.
im in a band that wants to create new sounds and ive only just heard about circuit bending, so i thought id give it a go.
tips and advice would be greatly appreciated. cheers

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: bendable guitar effects?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 10:43:42 PM »

Distortion pedals tend to not reaaly be appropriate for circuitbending as they pretty much do what circuitbending does already. They also tend to be very simple circuits.

Of more use are cheap digital delay pedals where you can corrupt the sample memory, analogue delays where you can create feedback loops and distortions, and most modulation effects like phasers and flangers. The cheaper pedals like Arion, Danelectro and all those companies you've never heard of before tend to be more bendable in my experience. They also tend to have plastic cases which is a whole lot easier for mounting controls.

I'm told those cheap Behringer pedals can have some good stuff done to them but they do use tiny surface mount components and so are difficult to work with. I wouldn't recommend them to a novice circuitbender.

There some information on some pedals in the Effects Units section of this forum
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

fuzzhead

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 10:55:32 PM »

great, thanks for your help. just one more question, what do u council me 2 buy 2 get started? obviously apart from a soldering iron and solder.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 08:43:31 PM »

Good question, i'm just starting a sticky topic in this section so poeple can give advice on getting started.

http://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,509.0.html
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool