Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Concertmate-370 - I think I fried it...  (Read 8689 times)

theshame

Concertmate-370 - I think I fried it...
« on: December 31, 2007, 03:06:17 AM »

Hi all, I have been bending a Concertmate-370 (Casio SA-8) for a couple of weeks now. I had everything wired and was starting to mount it, and I think I fried it. I hastily connected my batteries wrong (neg>pos) though I don't think that would have caused it, maybe it did? When I turned it on, something popped, and I smelled burning. After that, no sounds come out, only a random slight crackle from the speaker every once in awhile.

The crackle seems to happen when the DC-in is touched--even sometimes with the batteries not connected (am I crazy?) If anyone has any ideas I would be much appreciative. I'm very upset.

On a lighter note, if anyone wants to bend this keyboard, Here are my bending points to get you started.

nochtanseenspecht

• Three fingered inbred banjo plucker
Re: Concertmate-370 - I think I fried it...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 09:49:44 AM »

sound fried... :-\ if you can't see wich component is burned, put the sa8 on again,
and feel with your fingers if a component gets hot, then replace it.
anyway, this happens sometimes with bending.... next project put a diode after the power inlet

i hope you get it back to life again !

bendboy

Re: Concertmate-370 - I think I fried it...
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 10:07:12 AM »

The ONLY thing directly connected to the batteries is the main speaker amp on most keyboards. everything else runs off a regulator for +5 volts, so most circuitry is protected!!! If it popped and smoked, look for burn marks or discoloration on an IC chip(take the heatsink off the power amp and look at it! If you are lucky, you are out a power amp only. If you turn it on, and start a rhythm, does the "beat" light flash? If so, most of the logic stuff is OK!!!