Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Kawai MS510  (Read 9758 times)

Rizomorph

Kawai MS510
« on: January 01, 2008, 04:36:27 PM »

Hi my name is Martin i live in Sweden Iam 15years old and ive recently tryed circuit bending. Ive found it veary intreasting as well as annoying, fun, and time consuming. I made my first circuit bend six days ago and I think it was a complete sucsess ;D heres the video: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JyLqZhbxlpk http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rJ_sG_f3c9A videos are a bit wierd because my cell phone would only take 21seconds videos for some reason its an old toy keybord that my little sister got for chrismas a few years ago. Anyway i baught a Kawai MS510 on a yardsale for 19$ the chip is pretty big and have a lot of points. So i have some questions that I would be happy if some of you could awnser.

How do i save time when circuit bending? theres like at least 100 points on the circuit board.

How do i recognize common bending points? Mabey some tips of what looks like potentional bending points? http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/2530/circuitboardbp7.jpg

Why do the keyboard allways fuck up when Iam trying to bend the ram/rom chip? theres 2

I have baught some paromiters but they have 3 connections points what is the third for? witch points on it sould i use if i only want to use two? Like if i want to have a bend that i want to be able to increase or decrease? sould i use one on the side and the middle or just the two on the sides?

Has any one here got any experience of a kawai MS510?

Would be nice to have someone to talk with on msn about circuit bending pleese pm me ;D

Cheeres /Martin

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
Re: Kawai MS510
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 05:34:02 AM »

Hey Rizomorph,

While I can't address all of your questions, I would suggest that you read through the 'how to get started' thread on the board here and the general tips section of the main site for some great information.`

How do i save time when circuit bending? theres like at least 100 points on the circuit board.
No real easy way.  As you do more bending you will get a feel for what things tend to work and what things don't.  It's really a matter of reading all the how to's and getting in there and bending a bunch of stuff. 

How do i recognize common bending points? Maybe some tips of what looks like potential bending points?
If anyone out there has a better answer please correct me, but I'm pretty sure that  after you have some of the basic knowledge from the sources listed above, you just feel it out from instrument to instrument.

Why do the keyboard allways fuck up when Iam trying to bend the ram/rom chip?
This just happens with circuit bending.  If you are poking around in what is essentially the brains of the instrument you have to expect it to crash.  You also have to be willing to accept the possibility that you could break whatever it is you're working on.  Comes with the territory.

I have baught some paromiters but they have 3 connections points what is the third for? witch points on it sould i use if i only want to use two? Like if i want to have a bend that i want to be able to increase or decrease? sould i use one on the side and the middle or just the two on the sides?

Potentiometers, right?  Use the middle point and one of the sides.  Which side you use determines the direction that the potentiometer works in.  You don't always need to use all three, but it can be nice.  For example a pitch bend can work pretty well with all three points if you can find them.  The middle would be the center point of your pitch bend.  One of the sides would be the point that when connected with the middle makes the pitch of the tone drop.  The other would be the point that makes the tone go higher.

You're right, circuit bending can be simultaneously fun, annoying, and time consuming.  Hang in there; you can find some really unbelievable stuff if you stick with it.  Good luck and enjoy

Rizomorph

Re: Kawai MS510
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 11:45:50 AM »

Hey Rizomorph,

While I can't address all of your questions, I would suggest that you read through the 'how to get started' thread on the board here and the general tips section of the main site for some great information.`

No real easy way.  As you do more bending you will get a feel for what things tend to work and what things don't.  It's really a matter of reading all the how to's and getting in there and bending a bunch of stuff. 

How do i recognize common bending points? Maybe some tips of what looks like potential bending points?
If anyone out there has a better answer please correct me, but I'm pretty sure that  after you have some of the basic knowledge from the sources listed above, you just feel it out from instrument to instrument.

Why do the keyboard allways fuck up when Iam trying to bend the ram/rom chip?
This just happens with circuit bending.  If you are poking around in what is essentially the brains of the instrument you have to expect it to crash.  You also have to be willing to accept the possibility that you could break whatever it is you're working on.  Comes with the territory.

Potentiometers, right?  Use the middle point and one of the sides.  Which side you use determines the direction that the potentiometer works in.  You don't always need to use all three, but it can be nice.  For example a pitch bend can work pretty well with all three points if you can find them.  The middle would be the center point of your pitch bend.  One of the sides would be the point that when connected with the middle makes the pitch of the tone drop.  The other would be the point that makes the tone go higher.

You're right, circuit bending can be simultaneously fun, annoying, and time consuming.  Hang in there; you can find some really unbelievable stuff if you stick with it.  Good luck and enjoy

Ok thanks for the tips ;D will come in handy when I'm gonna install a potentiometer :D the two ones i have installed are a bit weird because i need a switch button to turn the thingy thats hooked to the potentiometer on and off what i really wanted was to be able to regulate how much electricity that flows between the points and when its fully turned to the left i wanted it to switch off ;D Anyway thx for the answers gonna go to a electricity store and buy some things :D