Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ram/rom keeps short cuircuit  (Read 9435 times)

Rizomorph

Ram/rom keeps short cuircuit
« on: January 02, 2008, 04:04:56 PM »

Iam vorking on bending a kawai MS510 and ive heard that the rom/ram is the best part to bend but when i try to bend it it fucks up and i have to switch the keyboard on and off. Has anyone here got any tips/suggestions of what i sould do? i know that this usealy happens but i mean this feels a bit extreme. Its extremly annoying and ive only found one good bend point on the ram yet :-\  I dont know if its two ram or two rom lol.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Ram/rom keeps short cuircuit
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 07:39:39 PM »

You might have better luck if you stick a very low value resistor between the shorts, about 100 ohm or something. It might work but then it might just do nothing.

On the other hand it might just be one of those machines that can't be bent without crashing all the time. I recommend wiring in a push to break button in the positive power line if it keeps crashing and you have to turn it off and back on again. That way you just have to press the button and it'll restart.

What synthesis method does it use?

i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Rizomorph

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 08:02:53 PM »

You might have better luck if you stick a very low value resistor between the shorts, about 100 ohm or something. It might work but then it might just do nothing.

On the other hand it might just be one of those machines that can't be bent without crashing all the time. I recommend wiring in a push to break button in the positive power line if it keeps crashing and you have to turn it off and back on again. That way you just have to press the button and it'll restart.

What synthesis method does it use?

Thx for the reply:D

I dont know i think its sampling. Its a toy keyboard so i dont think it makes the sounds with oscillators. I baught it for 19$.

Btw what type of patch cables and contacts sould i use? Going to buy some supplys tomorow ;D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 08:11:39 PM by Rizomorph »

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 12:03:37 AM »

If you can actually install a patchbay, i usually use 3.5mm jack sockets and make cables using 55/0.1 flexible wire and 3.5mm jack plugs. You can also use 8 way RCA phono sockets or 4mm single pole sockets.
Whatever you think is best really, try doing a search for patchbays on this forum and see what other people have said.

i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Rizomorph

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 03:04:29 PM »

I baught 10 resistors today but damn dont seem to do any diffrence :/ i guess the keyboard is pretty much useless for bending.

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 09:12:18 PM »

It may just not be the right thing to bend for you at present.  I put a few things on the shelf that I didn't have any luck with and returned to them later, once I knew a little bit more about what I'm doing (information, I might add, that came mostly from this excellent forum).

Rizomorph

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 12:50:12 AM »

ok ;D iam thinking of getting some other toy to bend to :D donno what yet mabey i can get something for free of some of my friends ;D

theshame

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 07:30:30 AM »

I have found that sometimes when a direct connection (especially when messing with ICs) causes crashes, a body contact will work much better. Try holding on to the metal part of a little screwdriver in each hand and touching different points.