Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Casio DP-1 drum pads  (Read 57058 times)

casioboi

Re: Casio DP-1 drum pads
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 01:36:53 AM »

I think I would run both setups through a DPDT switch and out the same cable if I decided to go the dual-trigger route. It doesn't matter much that they don't work with the old keyboards, as I still have the SS-1 drumsticks for that.

Would I get more sensitivity if I disconnect the original switches, or does that not have anything to do with it?

Thanks,
Jim

gmeredith

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 06:15:58 AM »

You don't have to disconnect them if you use the dpdt switch setup, so that at any time either the piezos are operating OR the pad switches are operating, but not both (eg running in parallel connection simultaneously). Actually your switch idea is a very simple and elegant way of doing it - it would function as a "mode" switch.
Make sure the switch does the switching to piezo mode so that it doesn't include the resistors in the piezo line, otherwise you won't get as sensitive output from the piezos.

Cheers, Graham

casioboi

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 05:24:56 PM »

Graham,

To clarify, are you saying that having the switches and transducers hard-wired in parallel does affect the sensitivity?

Thanks,
Jim

gmeredith

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 11:30:57 PM »

Well, after thinking about it a bit more carefully, it shouldn't interfere with the piezo output, so long as you parallel connect the piezo's +ve wire AFTER the resistor on the switch line wire, not before, so that the output of the piezo doesn't have to go through the resistor to go out of the cable. It then shouldn't diminish the output. And then you won't need a DPDT switch to change modes - just plug it in and start using it.

HOWEVER, connecting the piezos to the super drums wiring in parallel MAY interfere with the pads when used for the original function for super drums keyboards; because here, you are wanting to use the rubber mats as mechanical switches, and you have a piezo element bridging that rubber switch permanently already. Piezos have very high resistances and I should think that they would probably not interefere too much with the keyboard drum signal that is being switched by the rubber pads, but try it out in super drums mode to see. If you get erattic firing of your super drum sounds then you may have to put in the dpdt switch to stop the piezos interfereing with them.

cheers,

Graham

casioboi

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 08:33:42 PM »

I don't see any resistors inside the unit. I wired the transducers directly to the output cables by soldering their leads to the same joints where the cable wires are soldered to the board. If the original trigger switches go through a resistor somewhere, then they are definitely on the opposite end of the resistor from the transducers.

I didn't have any solder when I did this, so I attached the transducers by melting the solder that was already on the board. There wasn't enough solder on the joints for both wires (transducer and cable), and one of transducer leads subsequently broke away from the solder joint. The solder I ordered finally arrived yesterday, so I'm going to re-attach it and place the transducers under both rubber pads. I'm hoping the wooden base will dampen the vibration and reduce crosstalk between pads.

casioboi

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2010, 11:34:21 PM »

Well, what do you know? The newer units have resistors soldered to the cord leads. The older ones don't. I'm going to test my new layout on the older one that I'm reworking. If all goes well, I'll just remove the resistors from the newer ones.

gmeredith

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 09:57:01 AM »

Well there you go, I didn't know that either! You won't need to worry then on your old set. And you know what I'm talking about now regarding the new set. I don't know why they put the resistors in the newer ones - maybe they had false triggering issues with the older pads or something. Hope you get them working the way you want. I've just got to mounting all of mine (8 units) onto a mega drum rack frame with an old Roland drum pad for the snare, and the casios for the others/cymbals, running into a Roland PM16 drum interface unit, driving a boss DR660 drum machine for sounds. Really rocks!!!

Cheers, Graham
Pages: 1 [2]