Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: dd-20 bend  (Read 8583 times)

stolenfat

dd-20 bend
« on: January 26, 2008, 03:56:16 AM »

Heyo guys, this is my new project, and wow, i am excited about it.  My friend gave me a yamaha dd-20 drum machine, which in itself is pretty awesome for beats and jams, but i couldnt resist opening the fucker up to see what was inside.

pict- http://images.channeladvisor.com/Sell/SSProfiles/82000025/Images/5/DD20.gif

So, anyways, while i was probing around i remembered an old expirment of mine when i fused a sega genisis controller with a guitar chorus pedal and had amazing results.  Basically just shoved a bunch of active wires i soldered onto the board of the pedal into the end of the sega controller and found out the buttons could be used to do stuff.  Kreepy.

So, this time i had a seriel port controller, i think it a gamewave or something?, and i wired a bunch of hot connections to the serial pins and it worked just the same, only 100 times better.  I wasnt able to the control beats or tempo or anything like that with the controller but now its a total noise laser blaster.  Very cool results

differnt combonations of the buttons have completely different fxs, and holding down buttons while moving the dpad can control the pitch a little bit. Plus, i have some pots wired in their which completely change the controller effects as you turn them. 

Now, heres the awesome part. I have this little shaker switch which i yanked from a failed project of a baby toy.  Basically the switch activates when you shake it cause a little ball in there makes the connection for a second. im planning on putting that switch in the controller (if theres space, if not i'll come up with something else)   so as you play and rock the button you can also shake the controller to further affect the noise. 

Im very impressed by the results so far. And i'd love to share videos and sound bytes once i get the project all finished up.  Maybe even a video of some one rockin out would be cool.