Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How do I make a jack output where there isn't?  (Read 7760 times)

zomba

How do I make a jack output where there isn't?
« on: April 27, 2010, 09:22:35 AM »

It's great that toys come with a built-in speaker for testing and bending purposes.
Now I want to connect it to stuff - effect pedals, guitar amp, mixer console, DI box.

How should I proceed into this?
If I want it to output mic \ guitar volume, which is relatively similar, I need to make sure the output has certain parameters before I connect it.
If I want it as line out, it has similar parameters but is stronger.
Best would be to find the toy's preamp and connect the output before the preamp unless it's line out. But what are the values I should look for and how do I correct them as needed?
Or maybe pre-preamp values would work with guitar amps without any additional tweaking?

I'd rather not try connecting unless I know the values are at least within reasonable range, as I wouldn't want to harm my equipment.
On the other hand if the wires before the preamp are of standard strength, it shouldn't be a problem.

crossedout

• crutch of society
Re: How do I make a jack output where there isn't?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 06:43:54 PM »

i'm not sure about what valued youre asking about but connecting a 1/4 or 1/8 jack to your toys is a very simple process. if you wish to have an output that does not cut the output speaker, then simply connect the positive and negative terminals of your toys speaker to the terminals on the output jack. if you want your speaker to cut out when you connect a patch chord into the jack, just buy output jacks with a NC switch connection (very common) and connect the positive line of your speaker to the switch terminal, then continue the line from the positive jack terminal into the positive speaker lead on the circuitboard. then connect the negative end of the speaker terminal to the negative terminal of the speaker.

zomba

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 07:21:40 PM »

I'm asking if the voltage won't be too high, for example, which could burn an amp or an effect pedal.
Impedance and other values could affect the output as well.

Physically adding a jack output isn't a problem.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

zomba

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 11:06:17 PM »

The question isn't how to adapt between line and mic,
The question is how do I know whether the signal inside the toy can be connected to a guitar amp, or that it has to be adapted first.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 11:26:05 PM »

read the link, its got details of how to connect just about anything to anything using resistors etc to keep levels under control. Or try http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/speaker_to_line.html

In order to actually damage a guitar amp input you'd need a signal far bigger than you'll get from any speaker in any toy. Just plug it into the amp, or if you're worried about it wire a volume control in line.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

zomba

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 11:52:34 PM »

thanks