Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: zoom mrt-3  (Read 12693 times)

nochtanseenspecht

• Three fingered inbred banjo plucker
zoom mrt-3
« on: June 02, 2008, 12:20:52 AM »

i had to open up my zoom mrt 3 for maintenance, and i tought "why not check its possibilitys.."
so far i found that it could glitch sweet, it comes very close to the casio sa style loops,
all very strange drum/tonal loops  :)
once glitching, you can change to another -totaly differend- glitchloop , using the + and - buttons.
it also seems that it's sequencer can be operated normally half of the time..
i didn't try yet, but i guess it would listen to midi clock as well
there is also some space for switches etc.

so i think it will be a nice little project, specialy if the glitchloops do listen to midi clock..
at the moment i am still doing the research  ;), but if i start soldering, i will take some pics for you..
i think it is a nice little drum machine anyway
greetz, zzpecht

nochtanseenspecht

Re: zoom mrt-3
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 09:09:05 PM »

it has been a while... :) but yesterday i finally continued this little project and came up with a small
patchbay on top (15 pin soccet) so i can continue experimenting with various components, so that later i will
make a controlbox with the right components,wich can stick on top of the mrt3.

the results so far are that it can glitch sweet, very much like a casio sa1
direct shorts between soundroms (well, i guess they are..) result in a frozen machine and a return to factory settings, but if i place components between the legs of the chips, it give suprising results soundwise.
especially low value capacitors do something nice with the sampled drum sounds,act a bit like an enveloppe
over the sounds. or change the sound very subtile. also panning and phasing effects are possible, as well as
flams (double hits) . the clock remains steady with most shorts, and no problems with midi. the display shows
funny messages :o

conclusions so far : very nice drummachine for bending, but you have to do it subtile. there's many things to explore inside, and also some space for a few switches etc. the soldering -however- is not for beginners,
it is all very tiny layed out in the rom area..

to be continued... :P

nochtanseenspecht

Re: zoom mrt-3
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 09:32:31 PM »

o hell !! i left a big elco inside the patchbay for some days.. just forgotten to take it out..
and now the machine seems to be broken :'( no sounds, strange display, initialize at powering up...

so to everyone with a minipatchbay on top of his/her zoom mrt-3 : take out the elco's if you leave it a few days!!