Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 1/8" to 1/4" jack input problems  (Read 9543 times)

oscillate_wildly

1/8" to 1/4" jack input problems
« on: June 24, 2008, 08:01:59 PM »

ok i thought this would be really easy, to change a 1/8" input to a 1/4" input, but i seems harder than i thought. i removed the 1/8" input and i was left with three wires, red, white and black. i tried connecting them to the 1/4" input. i've tried almost every combination and still have had no luck. any suggestions on how to fix the problem? thanks x

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
Re: 1/8" to 1/4" jack input problems
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 09:21:40 PM »

What's the socket on?

Usually red, white and black are right, left and ground.  Try tracing the wires back on the board to see where they go.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

gmeredith

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 12:04:03 AM »

Are you talking about your SK-1 project? I think the output jack uses the black wire as the ground, and the other 2 are for the audio out AND for disconnecting the speaker automatically when you plug a headphone plug into it. Try and trace which one goes to the circuit board directly rather than the speaker directly, use this one as your output. Regarding which pins to use on your 1/4" jack , the ground pin should be separate to the other pins on the side of the jack, and be closest to the lock nut. Once you,ve soldered the black wire to that, just try each other terminal with the audio out wire until you get sucess. You most likely bought a stereo socket, so there is more pins to have to search through. Try a mono socket if all else fails, there is usually only 3 pins on these (1 ground and the other 2 are a speaker cutout switch mechanism, just like the SK's, so you could copy the pin placement off it).

Cheers, Graham

oscillate_wildly

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 12:10:35 AM »

oh no i'm not talking about the sk-1. yeah i think i might try a 3 pole input instead of the 2 pole ones i'm currently using. thanks for the advice x