Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Parts in Canada  (Read 9430 times)

goldenbaby

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Parts in Canada
« on: November 22, 2008, 04:19:48 AM »

I have found several sites where I can order electronics from, in Canada.
The problem is that all of these sites have massive selections, and pictures for their products.
So I'm always presented with ways to refine my search by power and heat ratings, brand name, etc, etc, and I don't know (or care) about all that crap.  I just want to know the crucial information and not have so much selection.

Digikey, Electrosinc and Newark are definitely all excessively large and without so much as a picture to let you know what you're really ordering.

Any suggestions?

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
Re: Parts in Canada
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 05:02:15 PM »

Mouser is pretty big, but most of their stuff has data sheets that you can look at to make sure you're getting the right thing.  I order there a bunch, so if you need part numbers for common items like pots or  555's or whatever, let me know.

Here's their site for Canada
http://ca.mouser.com/

goldenbaby

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 12:07:59 AM »

Oh, sweet, thanks.  Datasheets should at least help me out.

I ordered last night from Parts-Express, which is based in US.  I managed to find a Canadian-based company that has an outlet 45 minutes away, but I don't typically drive to the city, and the shipping was like $19 on $48 worth of stuff.  Which is only a few of the basic parts...so since my brother actually has rented an American mailbox, etc, etc.

I'll check out Mouser next time.  I'll likely have enough parts for my first three projects, but I haven't a clue where to look for nice knobs and stuff.  Maybe I can bust some off of other items.

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 04:29:51 PM »

I generally get knobs on ebay from that seller partspipe http://tinyurl.com/6hk8lj

I've had some bad luck with Hong Kong based sellers, but this one has always been pretty good by me.  100 SPDT switches for 40 bucks is pretty hot.  Another seller that sold me switches in bulk had really shitty ones where the solder wouldn't adhere well to the posts and they broke earlier, but I've purchased 300 from this outfit without trouble.  Some of the partspipe switches are installed on keyboards I've been playing live with for a year plus and are still snappy and tough.

goldenbaby

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 10:49:14 PM »

PartsPipe looks like a great source for some decent looking knobs and what-not.

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 01:19:35 AM »

Also, I just got a heads up on this site www.futurlec.com that has some pretty cheap parts.  Looks like pots are around 50 cents there.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 07:57:02 AM »

yeah, partspipe are good, and they will even lie outrageously on the customs form for you  ;)

I've updated the components suppliers list with futurlec etc
http://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=275.msg1361#msg1361
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool