Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Latest and one of my favorite bends... another Hing Hon EK-001  (Read 36015 times)

Gleix

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Re: Latest and one of my favorite bends... another Hing Hon EK-001
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 01:35:37 PM »

No problem!  Yeah, the last Hing Hon I did before this... apparently they needed to add some components after everything was in place, so coming off of the solder side of the board were two wires which went to a capacitor and a resistor, held down by tape on top of the plastic near the speaker. 

grandpa

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 03:01:46 AM »

Wow, nice work. Have any hints or schematics for the 2 transistor, 3 stage volume, black blob version?

Also, this may be of interest to some here... While looking on the net, I found a manual complete with schematic for the Stereophonic 900 kit version:

http://www.grandpastudios.com/pdf/ak-900.pdf

zenith ram

• don't waste your time on redheads
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 03:44:46 PM »

ive opened up my hing and it the funny thing is, most if not all the keys are not playing. when i opened it back up

looked around, then powered on whilst being opened, it played fine. screwed the back on, and it did the same thing.

any ideas breakbeat?? could you send diagrams of the hing hon to me as well. looks like a fun bend for sure

Gleix

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 03:41:12 AM »

ive opened up my hing and it the funny thing is, most if not all the keys are not playing. when i opened it back up

looked around, then powered on whilst being opened, it played fine. screwed the back on, and it did the same thing.

any ideas breakbeat?? could you send diagrams of the hing hon to me as well. looks like a fun bend for sure

You're lucky I've dealt with these things for so long... I had that exact problem, took me forever to realize what was going on.  Assuming you have the model where there's a bunch of little wires and the boards are segmented, the problem probably lies between two of the boards (the one with the key button matrix and the center board).

The thing is, these things are put together so that where there SHOULD be traces, they simply soldered between two circuit boards on tiny traces...very unstable when it comes to actually moving/pressing on parts of the keyboard.  You'll need to unscrew every circuit board, lift them up and find where all of the keys have a little solder joint going to the "middle" circuit board.  There should be a ton, and if they've been bent too much the gold traces may have been ripped up and it'd be very hard to fix... Try resoldering every point carefully and then adding hot glue over all the solder joints after testing if it works again. 

If you close it and something is pressing on that part of the circuit board it'll lose the connection... maybe try moving some wires out of the way as well so nothing is squeezed in there. 

zenith ram

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 07:53:24 PM »

You're lucky I've dealt with these things for so long... I had that exact problem, took me forever to realize what was going on.  Assuming you have the model where there's a bunch of little wires and the boards are segmented, the problem probably lies between two of the boards (the one with the key button matrix and the center board).

The thing is, these things are put together so that where there SHOULD be traces, they simply soldered between two circuit boards on tiny traces...very unstable when it comes to actually moving/pressing on parts of the keyboard.  You'll need to unscrew every circuit board, lift them up and find where all of the keys have a little solder joint going to the "middle" circuit board.  There should be a ton, and if they've been bent too much the gold traces may have been ripped up and it'd be very hard to fix... Try resoldering every point carefully and then adding hot glue over all the solder joints after testing if it works again. 

If you close it and something is pressing on that part of the circuit board it'll lose the connection... maybe try moving some wires out of the way as well so nothing is squeezed in there. 

thanks. i'll check it again to see about the soldering points. it might be worth it to put in the extra effort and resolder everything.

your right, its definitely one of my favourite sounding keys for sure. although, for being such a killer sounding little toy, the craftsmanship is horrendous. but the bends youve displayed truly brings new life to it. a friend has the chip version but i have the transistor version (i'm going to bend his as well) there has to be a way around the low led output in the transistor version...we'll see  :o

Gleix

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 08:05:58 PM »

If you figure something out regarding the LED brightness on the transistor version let me know  ;) 

zenith ram

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 01:16:58 AM »

for sure. super cool project man. cheers

mr ibrahiem

• Way to much time on his hands
  • Im Ibrahiem I like to eat apples
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2009, 07:54:35 PM »

HELLO ME AGAIN....I GOT  SO CLOSE TO GETTING ONE OF THESE AGAIN ,WHEN WE WENT OUT TO A KIDS BIRTHDAY AND THERE WAS A MARKET ON AND I WNET TO IT AND SAW A HIN GONG THING AND A SPEAK AND SPELL COMPAC (THE BLUE ONE) ANYWAYS I WAS ABOUT TO GAT IT WHEN I GOT A CALL FROM ANOTHER KID AT SIX FORM AND I HAD TO GO.....YET AGAIN I CAME TO WITHIN A WITH OF AN INCH TO HAVING THAT KEYBOARD BUT NO!!!!!!!.. SIGH.......IF ONLY MY WALKING MATE/LUCKY CHARM WAS THERE AT THE SALE,WHENEVER HE IS ETHERE I FIND GOOD THINGS...OH WELL,HE HAD TO STAY AT SIXFORM COS HED BEEN ACTIN KINDA IMMATURE AND STUPID ...STUPIDER THAN ME BUT ALAS HE CANT HELPIT. MORAL IS I SHOULD HAVE BROUGHT OL RICKY Bshaw with me

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2009, 08:30:58 PM »

For gods sake man turn off your CAPS LOCK!

If you don't start turning off your caps lock i'm going to start deleting your posts  >:(
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Dj Task Manager

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »

I really really like the video with the ek-001 being used as a video distorter!  That is very impressive, the closing few seconds of that video are awesome!

is this sort of bend specifically for this keyboard or would do you recon similar things could be achieved with others?
any tips on achieving something like this would be awesome.

Cheers!

mr ibrahiem

• Im Ibrahiem I like to eat apples
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 07:24:51 PM »

Maybe its just me but i can never seem to get the hing hon with the ic in it ..instead i keep getting the ones with the black blob thing,i think i keep getting the wrong ones Is there any way to differentiate the ones with a microchip in them from the ones that dont i have over eight now I moaned that i couldnt get hold of one and now i cant stop seeing them...that is all handy but blackblob is no good

Tyler1144

« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2009, 10:57:29 PM »

Yeah whats up with the video mod? How do you do that? I heard it was the audio out with a resistor.

Tyler1144

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2009, 10:59:55 PM »

A schematic for a hing hon:

sk-1

« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2009, 12:27:32 AM »

Isn't the Hing Hon a product of asian sweatshops?
So many questions... so little time!

Remork

• Remörk Blog
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2009, 03:24:15 PM »

probably. so are your shoes  :P
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 03:28:49 PM by Remork »
Pages: 1 [2] 3