Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: so much stuff...  (Read 6534 times)

peter

so much stuff...
« on: January 17, 2009, 11:06:19 PM »

Hi there!

so i'm completely new to this and trying to figure out what to do. I recently bought a very small  toy keyboard to practice circuit bending on. But now i'm in the problem of  just not knowing what kind of components to use for bending. So my question is: what will be good to have around to check the possible bends (meaning Poteniometers/ Patchbay sockets/ buttons+switches/ pots/ capacitors/ resistor, that whole bunch..)?

That would help me out so much!!! Just to get me started and think about it further.

THANX

goldenbaby

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Re: so much stuff...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 11:07:26 PM »

There's a decent starting guide including list of parts to have on hand for basic circuit bending.  Patchbays are definitely advanced, and only useful for implementing a large sets of bends that work in different combinations.  As for finding bends, you really just need a wire of some sort.  But check the list for a better list of startup gear.

peter

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 12:42:07 PM »

Thanx a lot...i deffenetly missed that one, very handy!

The thing i can't figger out is what kind of potentiometers to use, i mean there are Linear tapers and Logarithmic's. And can i use capacitor, of what kind??? See my problem....so much stuff...

The problem is that i don't have an electronic background and i'm learning by making mistakes, read a shitloud of info and asked a bunch of (stupid) questions. So i'm greatfull to ya all for reading answering!!

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 01:31:02 PM »

i mean there are Linear tapers and Logarithmic's.
Depend what you're using it for.  Typically you'd use a log taper pot for a volume control, because your ears have a logarithmic response - if you used a linear pot it would get very loud very quickly, and then most of the control wouldn't make much difference.

You might use a linear pot for something like a tone control, where you want the effect to be directly proportional to the position of the knob.  You even get anti-log pots which build up quickly and the flatten off, which are good for things like distortion controls.

What will really blow your mind is that you can fake a lot of these responses by adding resistors in parallel with the slider and one or other end of the pot!  That way you can come up with some really peculiar responses, which might be what you need in some cases.  There's nothing worse for control feel than having something where all the useful range is in the first quarter turn...

It's worth reading up a bit about basic electronics.  You don't need to know much, just the basics - but if you don't know the basic theory you can spend a lot of time staring at stuff that doesn't work without even the ability to start to guess why.

Ohm's Law is something you need to learn.  It's simple, and it explains about half the things you're going to ask.
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

peter

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 12:28:36 PM »

Manny thanks to you all!!!

I found enough off info now to start and I'm willing to learn all the way through.

Till later,
Peter