Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ferric Chloride Etching Solution in Canada  (Read 9654 times)

goldenbaby

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
Ferric Chloride Etching Solution in Canada
« on: February 25, 2009, 04:54:31 AM »

I've having a problem.  The Canadian Mouser site has 3 different bottles of etching solution, but there is apparently a shipping restriction on it.  Parts-Express has PCB, but no Ferric Chloride.  The local electronics store doesn't carry it either.

Does anybody know why it's proving so hard to find etching solution, and where a Canadian can get it (for a half-decent price?)

Or perhaps a place to get VERO (also not easy for me to find), or some other PCB replacement that you recommend.  I'd like to build some LFOs.

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
Re: Ferric Chloride Etching Solution in Canada
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:53:34 AM »

i don't know about ferric chloride in canada but surely you can buy veroboard or stripboard of whatever you want to call it from just about any components shop, online or otherwise.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

goldenbaby

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 05:59:07 PM »

Maybe strip board is the name it typically goes by.  Parts-Express only had the pre-made boards where contacts are connected in twos.  Not sure how well those would have worked, since VERO with the contacts connected in strips seems more commonly used.  But I've heard some people have found it a bit of a bother.

I guess I'm gonna lame out and contact my high school electronics teacher for the first time in 6 years.  That'll be wierd.  I don't see how else to get etching solution in Canada.

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 07:40:09 PM »

You can make your own perfectly suitable etchant with a mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide and Muriatic Acid (which can be found at most hardware stores).  Google the exact ration and procedure, as I can't remember it off the top of my head.  The etchant works very well warmed up.  I usually rig up a double boiler situation to heat mine before etching.

goldenbaby

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 04:15:25 PM »

You, I like.  What did it do to your double boiler.  I read that it's nasty to most things and should be kept in plastic....which to me seems a bit hard to heat up...on a stove, for example.

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 02:27:02 PM »

I just boiled some water in a tea kettle and then poured it into a large container.  I kept the etching solution in a plastic container.  Double checking to make sure that the plastic container was taller than the water level in the larger container, I set it in the boiled water and weighted it down so it sat levelly and all the etchant was submerged.