Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Paint jobs  (Read 26796 times)

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
  • 8Bit Brain Analog Heart
    • THE MAGIC MESS
Re: Paint jobs
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 12:03:01 PM »

I like to draw on my keyboards with markers of various kinds, I was even thinking I'd start painting on them with acrylics, but obviously they need sealant. I have some alcohol based fixative for oil pastels, but something tells me that's not really the right stuff. What do you guys use?

I use tip ex pen to write stuff on and plasitcote clear laquer to finish
8Bit Brain Analog Heart

phantompowers

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
    • http://www.myspace.com/rockinrobzilla
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 10:01:02 AM »

This isn't the greatest paint job I've done but I thought this would be the best place to post it, seeing as there were a few Casio SA-2's on this thread.

BEND YOUR BRAIN

SineHacker

• Kicks like the DADDY!
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 01:16:33 PM »

some tool tips on painting stuff would be good, maybe in a new thread though...
yum, plastic sinewaves

MAGTIG

• asspostle
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 08:50:56 AM »

Ok, so I'm experimenting with my first paint job. I'm assuming I got too impatient and that's why the paint did this when I sprayed on the gloss. Can anyone confirm or deny that for me? I'm just going to leave them in, but obviously I don't always want the cracked look.

zephler

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 09:16:35 AM »

I find that when I use spray paint, the results always turn out to look bumpy and too much like a little kid painted the thing - maybe I am applying too thick of a coat or something, but what do you use to make such a smooth look?  It looks like that paint job is original - it is very nice!  Do you apply paint with a brush or something?  What kind of paint do you use?  Thanks!!!

Circuitbenders

• crustypaul
  • Admin
  • This person is dangerously insane.
    • Circuitbenders.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 12:02:30 PM »

Sparay paint is best done in several thin coats, giving each coat enough time to dry completely before applying another one. Make sure you clean the surface as best you can before painting it or you'll end up with odd patches where the paint hasn't adhered as well as on other bits. If you put in on too thick you'll end up with lumps or rippled patches, or possibly those weird cracks Magtig has there. If its going on too thick just try spraying from further away or move the can faster.

Patience is the key here.
i am not paid to listen to this drivel, you are a terminal fool

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • THE MAGIC MESS
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 03:48:23 PM »

also using plasicote clear laquer over the paint gives a good hard wearing finish thats smooth and gives a depth to the look. Also apply the laquer in layers giving each layer time to dry usually 2 or 3 is enough. i use belton molotov paint and plasticote laquer but some paints will react to the laquer best to read up.
8Bit Brain Analog Heart

Gleix

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 10:53:49 AM »

I always do two thin coats of spray paint and one or two coats of a sealant, depending on what I'm putting it on.

One thing that's important is to never use spray paint when it's humid or really cold... I've ruined a couple keyboards before that way.  The paint ends up doing that crackly thing or being all particle-looking.

Matt the Modulator

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • THE MAGIC MESS
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 12:14:52 PM »

One thing that's important is to never use spray paint when it's humid or really cold... I've ruined a couple keyboards before that way.  The paint ends up doing that crackly thing or being all particle-looking.

That takes me back to doing  piece's in the cold of winter, we used to put hot water bottles in our bags to keep the cans warm which i think made it worse as the paint hits the cold air.  :( The paint gets a dull misted look fucks ya style up a bit but youve got to keep ya name up even through winter  :)
8Bit Brain Analog Heart

noystoise

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 08:39:54 PM »

i have the same problem. i prefer using spray paint on a nice hot day. in the winter time i dabble with airbrush because its not toxic and i can use it in my basement. i think this winter i am going to try to build a few projects with no paint. it would save a lot of steps.

Gleix

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2009, 02:02:46 AM »

Guy who commissioned me wanted it like this :P

"that's awesome. it will be like playing a watermelon."

This was made for a member of the Princeton marching band (to match their uniform). That band is nuts, in the best way possible of course.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 04:47:31 PM by Gleix »

MAGTIG

• asspostle
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 06:17:03 AM »

God, I'm going to follow that awesome orange paint job with pure shit. :D

But hey, it's my first attempt. I figured I'd put it in here just because I was posting about it earlier.

So! Things I learned:
1. Don't use so much fucking paint!
2. Let the damn paint dry!

I made plenty more mistakes, but those were the big ones. Glad I did this on a test subject. Some of those small buttons won't work unless I sand the sides of them down a bit. Does anyone else paint the buttons?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 07:26:31 PM by MAGTIG »

jamiewoody

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2009, 09:19:12 PM »

perhaps a wood print contact paper to give it a 70s look? that might be cool.
"gravity...it's what's for dinner!"

Bogus Noise

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • Bogus Noise Website
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2009, 07:42:18 PM »

(green keys fluoresce in blacklight)
I really love this paint spatter effect! What sort of paint works well for doing this to circuit bent toys? And is it just dipping a paintbrush in a pot and flicking it at the target?

Been wanting to get into painting mine up for months... I've had the spray undercoat/gloss and a selection of colours waiting since early summer, but would really like to add a bit more flair to them.  :)

jamiewoody

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2009, 08:43:08 PM »

i'm working on the cabinet right now for my first one. i do not have the greatest woodshop yet, nor do i havecabinet clamps. i got the basic structure together though. i set my sk1 in it, and it fits nicely. there is space for a small box to the right for controls. it will have pegboard in upper front for patch bends. it will, of course be a work in progress.
"gravity...it's what's for dinner!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3