Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Simba Toys Rock Guitar  (Read 11910 times)

deathbender

• Way to much time on his hands
Simba Toys Rock Guitar
« on: April 03, 2009, 12:21:38 AM »

My latest project, a Simba Toys Rock Guitar.

My opinion: Straight out of the box you'll be very dissapointed ( i was because i hate rock music). The built in samples are very awful rock'n roll clips, styles don't match, sometimes a piano can be heard... bah!

When you add above controls and make heavy use of the new pitch and retrigger (thanks to mikmo and his wonderful 555 circuit!) mods, it's halfway acceptable. The LPF and distortion add a little more fun...

In the end i'm not sure if it was worth the effort but my girlfriend likes it. It was a project i did for her actually so at least it was a success somehow...

Anyone bent one of these things before? Or wants to know how to? My documentation isn't the best but i wrote down some points i connected and which capacitorss i added, so it should be possible to share some tips if needed..

noystoise

Re: Simba Toys Rock Guitar
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 07:34:03 AM »

i've bent a couple of these types of guitars in the past. although they come in different shapes and sizes, i think the interface is pretty much always the same. with yours i wouldnt be suprised if there was a way to switch from rock sounds to rap sounds somewhere inside there. i'll have to agree with you though, these guitars arent worth it. the samples are terrible. keep your eye out for this little guitar

it's not much for bends except the pitch bend, but the sounds are much much better. i've found that these are pretty easy to fry too. i tried to add a vcf to one a while back without thinking it through well enough. oops...

S-CAT

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 10:19:25 AM »

We have worked on quite a few toy guitars, here is one that is very similar to the one below with 8 bends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymgHrL-V41k

noystoise

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 05:46:27 PM »

yeah, thats the one. i have 3 of these now waiting to be moddified. eventually i would like to add a 555 lfo to the timbre switch. it's too bad i'll probably never find another one of these considering the whole used toy crisis in the USA. i went to the thrift store the other day and there was one toy... it was a talking cash register and it was $20!

Gleix

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 07:18:19 AM »

yeah, thats the one. i have 3 of these now waiting to be moddified. eventually i would like to add a 555 lfo to the timbre switch. it's too bad i'll probably never find another one of these considering the whole used toy crisis in the USA. i went to the thrift store the other day and there was one toy... it was a talking cash register and it was $20!

The recession is bad for benders! I haven't found anything worth bending at a thrift store in forever... Hardly any electronics anymore.