Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Power help  (Read 6143 times)

george lazenbleep

• haha-fresh
Power help
« on: April 05, 2009, 03:13:02 PM »

Hey. I'm making a portable rave box to hold some devices, gameboys and modded fx. They all run on 9v dc. I want to have a rechargeable sealed lead acid battery, and one large dc power supply as backup. What I want to do is split the dc from either the battery or psu, then send it to each of the devices.
Any Ideas? Multiple regulators? those little transformer chips?
anyone tried anything similar?
cheers!
:#

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
Re: Power help
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 08:35:40 PM »

Work out the current draw of the devices and put in a nice big 9v regulator.

Alternatively, use either seven or eight NiCads, giving either 8.4 or 9.6 volts, and a suitable charger.  They'll be lighter than an equivalent lead-acid.

Depending on the devices, their internal regulators will probably cope with 12v quite happily anyway.

Gordon
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

george lazenbleep

• haha-fresh
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2009, 10:19:58 PM »

ok, if the current is more than enough, is it ok to run them off the same dc source?
and if i go ni-cad does the ampere/hour rating mean the current it can deliver in one hour?
cheers
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:24:38 PM by george lazenbleep »

LoneStar81

• Way to much time on his hands
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 11:49:02 PM »

ok, if the current is more than enough, is it ok to run them off the same dc source?
and if i go ni-cad does the ampere/hour rating mean the current it can deliver in one hour?
cheers

Yes, you can run 1000 circuits off the same power line as long as it can deliver enough overall current.

And secondly, a rating of, say, 10Ah means it can deliver the given current (10A) for 1 hour, then it'll be empty.
Analog to that it would be able to deliver 1A for 10 hours or 0.1A for 100 hours, etc.