Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: PA paranoia  (Read 12190 times)

ZedAxis

PA paranoia
« on: April 18, 2009, 12:45:24 AM »

Anyone had any experience of using bends thro a live PA or in a recording studio?

Just wondering how the sound engineers respond to it due to the unpredictable nature of the frequencies & sound levels? I don't do this kind of thing myself (beyond home) but the few times I've been milling about when friends have done extreme electronic sets you always notice how jittery these peeps get about damaging their expensive gear. How does it work out?

I've never been to any gigs where peeps use bent stuff!!! Is there much going on in the UK? Noticed a couple of things recently in Newcastle & Leeds.

pneaveill

• Way to much time on his hands
Re: PA paranoia
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 01:06:54 AM »

As a professional sound guy for almost 30 years, if you were to bring some of this stuff **untested** into the studio or into church, we would freak.  Additionally, I have a friend who works in TV/radio and he freaks over anything below professional grade, no matter how hi-fi.  Would imagine that if you even hinted at something lo-fi, not sure I would want to be there to clean up that mess. ::)

Gordonjcp

• This person is dangerously insane.
    • http://www.nekosynth.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 09:11:05 AM »

If you run it all through a limiter it should be okay.

Of course, fuzzboxes do a good job of knocking off unwanted peaks.  You can never have too many fuzzboxes...
If at first you don't succeed, stick it through a fuzzbox.

computer at sea

• Closer to the meat
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 10:57:04 PM »

I use this stuff live through a PA all the time.  You get some peaks here and there, but if you start with the levels at a reasonable volume it isn't much on an issue.

pneaveill

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 02:38:13 AM »

I use this stuff live through a PA all the time.  You get some peaks here and there, but if you start with the levels at a reasonable volume it isn't much on an issue.

Hence, my statement about being untested. 

ZedAxis

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 11:37:45 AM »

I like the thought of using a fuzz distortion - so will it beef up the sound too by limiting the treble mid-range? Says on wiki about it making harmonising frequency relationships or somesuch thing. Sorry - not too technically minded - but I think I might have a go at building a fuzz face clone to see how it sounds. I'm anticipating a digtal Jimi Hendrix without the fender!!! 

concretedog

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 05:28:50 PM »

I find it's not to much of an issue, just give your channels plenty of headroom and then turn up the mast. If you are realy nervous then limiting would be a quick definate solution. I tend to put everything through my own little desk before it gets set to pa so I have lots of control...and it's not straight into the pa guys gear.

LoFi-Ninja

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 11:29:24 PM »

if you were to bring some of this stuff **untested** into the studio or into church, we would freak. 

Out of curiosity what kind of testing are you talking about here ?

LoneStar81

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 12:27:52 AM »

As a professional sound guy for almost 30 years, if you were to bring some of this stuff **untested** into the studio or into church, we would freak.  Additionally, I have a friend who works in TV/radio and he freaks over anything below professional grade, no matter how hi-fi.  Would imagine that if you even hinted at something lo-fi, not sure I would want to be there to clean up that mess. ::)

I wonder what you're doing here if amateurishly modified devices freak you out so much :)

pneaveill

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 12:39:46 AM »

I wonder what you're doing here if amateurishly modified devices freak you out so much :)
For starters, wanting to learn how to do it right and not blow something up.  Maybe learn a little about how safe they can be, so as to overcome those fears.  Probably more, but that might suffice for now. ;D

LoneStar81

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 03:09:14 PM »

Most of the time your issue is a complete non-issue though. Professional gear isn't any more sensitive than, say, standard hifi amps are, on the contrary, mostly the ins and outs are better protected. If you are a professional you should know that. Now, if a modified device never made any problems at the bender's home, you can expect it to be safe as everything else. Every half-experienced bender who knows what he's doing will end up with 100% electrically safe devices.

pneaveill

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 05:39:01 PM »

Most of the time your issue is a complete non-issue though. Professional gear isn't any more sensitive than, say, standard hifi amps are, on the contrary, mostly the ins and outs are better protected. If you are a professional you should know that. Now, if a modified device never made any problems at the bender's home, you can expect it to be safe as everything else. Every half-experienced bender who knows what he's doing will end up with 100% electrically safe devices.

Part of what has scared me out of a whole lot of audio mods is that early on, I met up with some not-sure-I'd even call them half-experienced benders who have fried expensive equipment both at church and in the studio.  Oh, don't get me wrong, once the thing has been tested and made sure it safe, it is fine for me. My friend at the studio was meant just as sort of a range of things.

Hope that clarifies somewhat.

LoFi-Ninja

• Dayglo Volunteer of International Masturbation
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 06:55:19 PM »

Oh, don't get me wrong, once the thing has been tested and made sure it safe, it is fine for me.

Again what kind of testing are we talking about here ? Voltage spikes and the like ? I don't really know anything about producing so I'm sorry if it's an obvious answer...

pneaveill

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 11:03:31 PM »

Oh, don't get me wrong, once the thing has been tested and made sure it safe, it is fine for me.

Again what kind of testing are we talking about here ? Voltage spikes and the like ? I don't really know anything about producing so I'm sorry if it's an obvious answer...

That is basically what I was looking for.  The actual engineer would then take it and do something else with it. If it passed with him, then it was clear to go.