Circuitbenders Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: just about to start my first project yay- MOVED FROM SITE COMMENTS  (Read 8238 times)

peddlebreaker

Hey Ho

So me and a friend are about to start exploring the world of circuitbending... 

So far we have a Tandy computerized arcade, a sketch a tune, a speak & spell, and play guitar & a few computer game thingies to mess with...

I have purchased a soldering kit, a a few bits, but * was wondering:-

What is the best way to test a machine if its not working & how will I get it making sound again?

Where do I buy the pots, switches and jack sockets from?

What is the best reference guide to buy?

I know theres a few boring questions there, but we are finding it quite a mission to find all this info out for benders in the UK..

peace & short circuited dimmer switches

benny

the_zombiest

• Kicks like the DADDY!
    • The Zombiest's Youtube Channel
Re: just about to start my first project yay
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 05:48:16 PM »

I like to buy all my pots/switches etc from here: http://www.rapidonline.com/
You get your order pretty much next day too.

As for references, scouring the internet is a good place to start, but it can get way too technical and seem really daunting to a beginner (myself included).  Best thing to do is go on Amazon and buy Reed Gazhala's book on circuit bending.  It's really easy to follow and is a fairly good read too.

the best way to test a machine is to *sorry if this sounds obvious* put new batteries in and press 'on'.
If that doesn't work then there's a good chance it's bust.  If you're an optimist or just in denial you can pop the casing open and start probing the circuit for signs of life... I had this problem with a speak and spell and it turns out that the membrane/keypad was buggered.  A bit of research and a lot of time and patience and iron-burns and it's up and running again and making the most random noise :D

Good luck with your projects and I hope this helps.

peddlebreaker

Re: just about to start my first project yay
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 07:35:53 PM »

Nice one! sorry I should have posted this on the discussion board, but I got confused for some reason :O)

I'll check that link out dude, thanks! Yeah I do want to try to fix the Tandy because surely its just logic and learning that I need. I was also thinking of purchasing the book, but wondered initially whether it would be more suited for American readers, but obviously there is a wealth of info thati need from that material :O0

Thanks again,

peace & enlighted souls

www.muddypromotions/org.uk
www.myspace.com/peddlebreaker